Compound Delete

I should also mention this is on a heavy Summit lathe, 20” swing by 84” long, with a 4” thru bore

Nice thing about that lathe is it has a 10” thru bore in the spindle.

At last! Someone who can relate to us mini lathe owne...nevermind...

:D :D :D :p :p :p

(only pulling your leg by the way. ;) I'd be interested to see some pictures of your home shop if you've got any already chucked up on here at all. :) )

Last edited:
Not arguing but asking...
When you plunge cut how do you know how deep to cut them?
Touch off the tool bit, check the book for the "double depth" of thread, take cuts until you are getting close, then creep up on the calculated depth while testing with a test fastener.

This isn't CNC!

I've been working on solid tool post for my EL2 lathe. Not quite done yet; had to call it quits on the milling tonight due to a stripped drawbar. And it still needs locating / anti-rotation mechanism...but its close.

My reasons: the compound has bit of crash damage from the PO (the chuck ate a corner of the fixed portion of the compound when the top slide was fully retracted). While the compound still functions, the damage annoyed me. I rarely turn tapers and full-profile threading isn't a big deal. This lathe is between a BXA and CXA size, so the solid TP allowed me to lower the height just a touch to put me sweet spot of the CXA. And its a fun project to see what sort of difference it would make.

SolidToolPost.jpg

SolidToolPost2.jpg

This is why I like my compound.... I know, it isn't a 7x lathe... but it isn't a 14x either....

Last edited:
Back