Complete Home Machinist Shop for sale (Silver Spring, MD)

jeffhester

Registered
Registered
My father-in-law passed away in December, and I'm helping the family sort out what to do with a veritable treasure trove of machines, tools and equipment in his home shop near Silver Spring, Maryland.

All machines were lightly used, well-maintained and in excellent condition. All have original manuals and are single owner.

These are the bigger items:
  • Clausing 12" Lathe Model 5913
  • Clausing Vertical Mill Model 8530
  • Clausing Horizontal Mill Model 8551
  • Clausing Drill Press Model 1764
  • Powermatic #143 Band Saw
  • Rockwell Delta TG-3 Toolmaker Grinder
  • Rockwell Delta 6-Inch Tool Grinder
There a ton of accessories which I'm working to inventory, as well as woodworking machines, 3D printers, CNC routers, Kiln and a many beautiful tools.

We need to list the house, and would love to sell the entire shop, but also are open to selling specific machines. I'd love to hear suggestions on how to sell this equipment. I've got photos of almost everything.

That’s a lot to deal with, regardless of the entire shop’s contents. I wish you the best; I’ve been through it myself.

I’m pretty new to machine tools so I can’t offer much help regarding how to best go about it, but I can say I live in the area and am very interested in a number of the items you mention.

Jason

Thanks, Jason. It is a lot. Reminds me of the joke "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." That's what we're trying to keep in mind. If there is anything in particular you're interested in, let me know and I'll post some photos.

The gurus will be along shortly, sorry for your, and the families loss. That would be an insane first shop for you, you'll never get that oportunity again.

My heart goes out to you. It's hard to close an estate of a family member. Pricing used machines can be difficult because prices will very from location to location. You might start to have an idea of prices of you check EBay on similar machines that sold in your region not just the asking price. I have purchased several pieces of equipment on Craigslist. Sometimes it's hard to deal with some of the people, but it's easier to sell heavy equipment locally because shipping costs are a deal breaker . Good luck.

hese are the bigger items:
  • Clausing 12" Lathe Model 5913
  • Clausing Vertical Mill Model 8530
  • Clausing Horizontal Mill Model 8551
  • Clausing Drill Press Model 1764
  • Powermatic #143 Band Saw
  • Rockwell Delta TG-3 Toolmaker Grinder
  • Rockwell Delta 6-Inch Tool Grinder
There a ton of accessories which I'm working to inventory, as well as woodworking machines, 3D printers, CNC routers, Kiln and a many beautiful tools.

We need to list the house, and would love to sell the entire shop, but also are open to selling specific machines. I'd love to hear suggestions on how to sell this equipment. I've got photos of almost everything.
If enough people are interested , I'll buy the entire place . I have cash on hand . You have my cell number below and I'm close . Dave If I'm sleeping leave a message as I work nightshift , or call at night ! :)

You better be moving some stuff at your house. Jeff, may I introduce one of the gurus.....Very good person to deal with.

Thanks all. I've put together a list of the machines in the shop, which includes the machines listed above, plus some woodworking machines, two 3D printers, two CNC machines, an electric kiln and a variety of tools and accessories. I still have additional photos to add, but it gives you some idea. I'm created it because while it would be great to find someone local to buy the entire lot, I'd want you to have a better idea of what that includes.

EDIT: I can't share a direct link here yet because I'm new to the forum, but if you go to jeffhester-dot-net you'll see a post.

Last edited:
Biggest issue is if the machines are accessable Jeff . If they are located in a basement and rigging is involved , that's a downer . Where is this stuff located ?

Biggest issue is if the machines are accessable Jeff . If they are located in a basement and rigging is involved , that's a downer . Where is this stuff located ?
It is in a basement, but there is direct access to the garage (same level), and out to the street. That should help.

Back