Comfortable Working Height

I added a 4” riser to the Bridgeport and as an unanticipated consequence the working height rose the same amount. This is really desirable for me at 6’3” as now frequently the work is about chest high. In addition to the riser the mill is up on 4x4 posts. It’s just right.

Hello, I'm new to forum and soon to be an owner of a PM-932M. According to the specs the working height of the table with the stand will be about 31". This seems a little low to me but would like the opinion of owners with some experience. I did order the Leveling pads but do these add any height? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
20210226_160023.jpg

Look to the feets my friend!

I'm 6'1", and while there may be concerns about using wood, these lifts were an absolute necessity. Even now, my machines are a bit low for my taste.

Concrete footers with J bolts would have been better - but hey! Whatever man!

I have both my Rockwell mill and Hardinge blocked up signifcantly; 6" or so!
At 6'4" I need it! I'm sorta tempted to move my mill up high

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I dunno if I've chimed in on this before or not.

I used to be 5'11, but maturity removed .062 from every one of the joints in my spinal column and I'm now 5 feet 9 inches tall.

My PM25's table is 44 inches off the floor, the 10-30 lathe spindle is 49 inches up. I'm really pleased with these, though the lathe could be a couple inches lower (easier to see the work, not easier to run.)

Looks like this thread came back to life. Since I started it, I thought I should probably show what I ended up with. This height works well for me, but I tend to like things a little higher than a lot of guys.

IMG_0763[1].JPG

Reactions: GL
I'm roughly 5 10 and my lathe is just shy of mid chest-ish. maybe around the lowest "non-floating rib" area. I find it discourages me from resting my arms on the machine (IE; safety) and when I need to get a good close look at the work I'm not actually leaning over the machine.

My bench mill is on it's stock sheet metal cabinet and I find it much too low for me in a standing position. I usually end up sitting on a roll-around stool when using the mill to get to a comfortable work height. I actually don't mind being able to sit on the roll-around stool, much easier on the back and places the work/tooling interface at roughly the same position for me as the lathe on it's cabinet. My face is not inline with the work interface but I'm close enough that I can get a good look at the work.

for me, what height you need is a personal thing. As long as it's effective and safe, it's right.

RebelJD, that’s almost exactly what I did to raise my 1340GT. Similar rectangular tube bolted to the bottom of the base, angled ends outbound of the machine for accessibility. I welded 4”x4”x3/4” plates to the bottom, threaded 1/2-20 for adjuster bolts sitting on the original cast base plates sent with the lathe (trued up the bottom of the hole and bottom side to be parallel) in place of the machine mounts you used. Some reported issues with machine mounts and lathes which was why I stayed with the solid foot plates. Raises machine, widens the footprint, and easy access for adjustment.

Back