Comfortable Working Height

I used the elbow height rule or there abouts with my PM-833TV. Being 6' 4" tall I needed extra height on my table. I did something a little more permanent by pouring a concrete base that the cabinet bolts to. Comes complete with spider crawling up the side!
Base2.jpg

So, for a knee mill, what goes at elbow height?
I tend to go with the resting my hands on each of the controls while looking at the work area, with table at mid height. If I can stand there for a couple of minutes with my hands resting on the control wheels, then the height is reasonable.

My hair stood up.....

I agree, elbow height works for lathes. I added. 3” risers to my 1340GT. I hear 0 rpm with high feed rates will break a chip on spiders. Nice job with the concrete.

The spindle center on my Takisawa is spaced 41" off the floor, as are the vice jaws on my PM935 knee mill. I'm 6' and they're just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
OSHA has found between 32-34 inches to be the optimum bench height.
Having set up more than a few machines, benches and burr benches I always shot for 40-42 inches.
Working on a project about 2 months ago on an improvised work bench, I felt like the bench was at the PERFECT height, I measured the height and it was 34 inches.
This is when I referenced the OSHA site for work bench height.
There is a lot of great information there and everyone on this site should reference their site.

I used the elbow height rule or there abouts with my PM-833TV. Being 6' 4" tall I needed extra height on my table. I did something a little more permanent by pouring a concrete base that the cabinet bolts to. Comes complete with spider crawling up the side!View attachment 365847
Something wrong with this picture.........
Chips!, oil drops, grime, peeling faded paint.
Seriously though, that is a well designed deck.

OSHA has found between 32-34 inches to be the optimum bench height.
Having set up more than a few machines, benches and burr benches I always shot for 40-42 inches.
Working on a project about 2 months ago on an improvised work bench, I felt like the bench was at the PERFECT height, I measured the height and it was 34 inches.
This is when I referenced the OSHA site for work bench height.
There is a lot of great information there and everyone on this site should reference their site.
I'm in the 34" work bench club myself, both of my welding tables are just under 33". Build something on the table and before you know it you're up to 48".

I'm 5'10 (perhaps minus a bit) and I had to raise my PM935VS 11" to let me use the controls without stooping. If I stoop, even a bit, I'm done in about 10 minutes.

Back