Collets

cpncrnch

Registered
Registered
Have a Logan 825. Thinking of buying a set of collets! What are they used for, pros and cons, what type should I look to buy, etc...
Thanks in advance

Perhaps you will find these Hardinge documents helpful.
I learn something new from them everytime I read them!

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• 2348_I_SpindleToolingLathe.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 2285a.pdf
    288.2 KB · Views: 13
CP can you give us a bit more information as to the type of work you would like to do. Some collet systems use a draw bar which limits the length of stock you can put into the collet. I think your lathe can use 3C collets. I believe there are 5C collets that use a holder that would screw onto the spindle and then allow stock to pass thru up to the size of your spindle bore Ø.

However I am an Atlas 618 user, so perhaps shouldn't even be discussing this. Someone will be along soon.

David

I have 3 lathes (Rockwell 10 x 36, Clausing 12 x 24 and Grizzly G0709 14 x 40). All three have collets, 4-C on the Rockwell, 5-C on the other two. I leave a 5-C collet chuck on the Clausing and a 3-jaw on the Grizzly.

PROS: A lot of my work involves turning brass; collets grip essentially on the whole 360. No marring of the brass with collets like the jaws of a chuck would do. Run out on my collets is 0.001" or less, so no worries taking something out and remounting it and staying on center.

CONS: Not a large range of use for a given 5-C collet, have a 1/64" stepped set on my Grizzly, 1/32" on the Clausing. Since they are sold in 1/64" increments, I'd have to guess that the range for a given collet isn't much over 0.017". The ER (extended range) collets let you cover a wider range of diameters with a given collet. Lots of guys on the forum have built their own ER collet chucks, but they are available commercially. My Grizzly 5-C set up cost me around $500 for the lever style closer and the 1/16" - 1 1/8" by 1/64" set of collets. That doesn't include the set of square ones I have also. The Clausing has a CDCO 5-C collet chuck and the 1/32" stepped set from 1/16" - 1 1/8" that in total probably ran around $350.

I love working with collets because of the brass work I do. I jump to the Grizzly if I'm turning steel and use the 3-jaw (has <0.002" run out), go to the Clausing if I have a one-off job in brass or aluminum. If I'm making multiples, I'll use the Grizzly and pull the 3-jaw and use the collets. It was mentioned above, really depends on what you are doing with your lathe if you need them or not. I've never run a poll on this site for "who has collets" vs. "who doesn't", but I'd hazard to guess most guys in a small hobby shop (like mine) do not have them.

Bruce

I have a 5C collet system with the draw bar closer on my lathe. The collets are always my first choice vs any of my chucks, as long as the work piece will fit. 5C collets have an upper limit of 1.125" diameter and you can only pass a work piece of about 1" OD all the way through a 5C collet (it could even be a little less, can't remember without looking). There are some other advantages to the collet system as well. You can buy emergency collets which can be machined in your lathe to accept custom pieces. They can be either expanding (for internal holding) or closing (for external holding) types. These come in very handy when machining delicate things like thin rings. You can also buy square and hex collets and well as square and hex collet blocks which can be used in your milling vise. Personally, I think a collet system is well worth the investment.

Ted

As far as I know 5C will only pass through a bar of 1" or so, we have a W&S turret lathe that will take 5" and larger push collets.

This is a 5C Hardinge turret lathe holding 5/8" parts, by the time you get to a 1+" diameter there is very little collet left.

Spot. drill and tap operation, the fourth chuck holds a dowel pin used to set the part position in the spindle with parts that are to long for a collet stop, not terribly accurate but sufficient for drilling and tapping depths.
smallturret1_zpsqowfabju.jpg

If and only if you plan on doing multiplies of 1 thing will collets be useful. A long time ago I made decision to only do one off’s. Set true 3 jaw and a 4 jaw very useful to me. I won't bid on production style work,send it on to the next guy. I invested in a gift for significant other,more rewarding.
Collets,just another decision to make.

Thank you gentleman!
Has any one heard of Beall Collet Chuck and Collet System (ER32)? It threads onto the spindle and it's fairly inexpensive! Seeing I am just starting out with this hobby I don't want to spend too much at this time...

As mentioned above a collet chuck is very limiting unless your goal is to produce many parts quickly, it is excellent for this.

If you are a hobbyist and make one part at a time with every part being different from the last it is not ideal.

In the picture above I did not make just one, made 48 pieces of the exact same part, collet machines are excellent for repetitive work such as this, general turning not so much.

Back