Cold weather is coming, how will you heat your shop?

For the guys that are here in Minnesota or really cold parts, Is there some minimum temperature that the machines and tooling need to be above to be operated? I guess I'm talking as far as the metal/iron machine/tooling being too brittle?

I know I have heard stories of big trucks in Alaska, etc had to be heated with charcoal trays underneath,etc...It was'nt because you couldnt get them to kick off on ether or glowplugs, But because they said crankshafts and trans input shafts could shatter when the big "hammer" of combustion started beating on the lower end.

For all I know these could be greatly exaggerated or just stories, But normal temp here for most of the winter seems to average about 5 F(often much colder) and for the most part my shop could be considered "unheated". I definitely don't want to break and brittle metal.

I know I did put a system in place last year where I put a 4 foot tall orange traffic cone in the driveway when I'm working in the garage and running the heat. That way the wife can see it over the snow banks when she is halfway down the street and would normally be hitting the garage door remote to open it up. Orange cone means park in the driveway and I'll bring your car in when I'm done for the night ;)

With the small heater I have its a real pain to get it even up to freezing in there, So I'm trying to figure out some easy(cheap) way to enclose a smaller area around my machine that I can warm up with the torpedo and then maintain temperature with something smaller. Any thoughts? Todd

The temperatures where steel fractures isn't encountered in most of the world. Perhaps in the north and south pole and parts of Alaska.

As far as keeping the shop at a temperature...I keep mine at 55*-60* by running a small electric heater on it's lowest (60*) setting. This has worked for the three years I have used it, even when the temperature outside drops to -6*. BUT..my shop is well insulated.

Yeah, I unfortunately have no insulation at all on the ceiling/roof And on the walls it is only a air gap behind the drywall...Nothing on the garage door. I'm wondering about a few sheets of pink foam nailed to the rafters and to make a small "portable wall" I could almost just leave the door to the house open at that point and let the cheap gas furnace do the work versus $$$ bottled propane. I DO have a long stick that I use to stuff old sweaters into the inside of the turbo-vent though!! 8) LOL Todd

I burn free waste oil in a 200k btu waste oil furnace to heat my 1000sqft uninsulated shop. that sucker can get the shop over 90 degrees on a freezing day!! and all it costs is a trip to a local gravel truck operator to pick up his used equipment oil. (nasty stuff) and a little electricity to run the pump and fans

My shop's in the basement. Forced-air gas furnace. I keep the registers closed and still don't feel cold. If I turn the heat up, will the shop expand? ;)

The shop probably won't expand but I bet that the stuff inside it will.
Jerry

I have a electric heat in my shop and I keep the thremastat set at 50 when I'm not in there. When I'm working I set it at 65 warm enough when your working.

My shop is only 450 squre feet and well insulated. The roll up door is insulated also but I going to add another 1" to it.

Paul

Odd you should ask as I just got finished installing a 90% eff. propane furnace and it is wonderful, ;)also insulated the shop last summer and it holds the heat reeeeeeallll good. It is in the 20sF right now and no heat on in the shop it is 47deg F:biggrin:
Its attached to the house and its 32X32 and its all mine (with the wife's blessing):biggrin:
Still waiting for my 14X40 PM lathe which is sposed to be on a ship from Taiwan (ordered it march 30th:banghead:)
Here are the files we were talking about Nelson if I can get them uploaded right:thinking:. Well I was informed the files are to big to upload:banghead: so will see what i can do to get them to you OK?:headscratch:
Bill in SE Idaho

My shop is in the basement also. Basement does have forced air electric heat and AC but during cold weather I keep a fire going in the fireplace which has a forced air insert.Helps keep rest of the house warm also and saves on the electric bill. House is 2750 Sq. ft and electric bill has never gone over $160.00 winter or summer.

I've been thinking of tapping into the black iron propane feed line that runs through my shop and adding a radiant heater.

John
As long as it is vented to the outside for a few reasons, first air to breathe:nono:, second explosive vapors:nono:, third moisture on your machines will rust them bad as propane produces a lot of H20= water:bitingnails: and you wont like that:banghead:
Just my 2 cents worth.
Bill in SE Idaho

Back