Cnc plasma

Hi all
Thanks for all suggestions really a helpful already i have this type of rails, i have chance to machine the side of L profile to fit rails straight, L profile is 150x90x10.
I have home a large cast iron t slot table,
Idea was to cutt this L shape 45 degree, mount on the big table when welding to cheep straight and after that give to my friend to machine in the side to fit the rails and rack, I wasn’t so confident with belt drive for 1.7m but if you guys used with no problem i think will reconsider( in case i still want to use helically rack what size of pinion shell i chose? 20x20 will be rack 18toth?
Im planing to cut from thin to thick no more than 25mm
Another things about THC , as I understand well better is better cutting witch one shell looking
For plasma machine i was thinking for hypertherm and the are really expensive bit for my resorce I understand they are good !
I will go first for stepper motor save some money for other things ! Thank you all ,nice machine by the way spumco

Thank you. That's the small one I did a couple years ago.

I understand you want to re-use some existing rails... but I think you'd still be better off with a different guide system. The L-profile will not be straight in any direction - including twist - and machining it after welding isn't going to result in a perfectly flat/straight mounting surface for profile bearing rails.

You want 1.7m of travel... you have access to a milling machine that has that much travel to machine the L-channel? That is a rather large machine.

Finally, if you make the gantry out of the steel L-profile you mention it will be way heavier than necessary. Stick with aluminum or much thinner steel box tube. There are no cutting forces in a plasma table and the gantry only has to withstand inertia and the weight of the head assembly. Make it as light as possible.

I'm not an expert on torch height controllers. I've used UCCNC controls with a Proma THC as well as a Neuron Lite. And am about to do another table with a PriceCNC (now defunct) AVHC-10 THC. They all work well. You should join the PlasmaSpider forum and start researching THC's - that place is a wealth of info on all things plasma.

Before you go much further, I suggest you decide on the CNC control system. The main control (software & hardware) will determine many things - maximum step rate, number of inputs/outputs available, etc. This will drive many other decisions down the road.

Yes, a belt drive will be fine for a 1.7m table. If you use a 25mm wide stationary belt it will be plenty stiff enough not to 'bounce' and the settling time during aggressive direction changes should be adequate. If your gantry or head wind up being heavy, move up to a 32mm (or wider) belt.

Photo of the drive system from the earlier table. The basic layout is fairly easy to make/copy and doesn't require extremely precise machining to function well as the bottom V-bearings are in slots for adjustability. (sorry for the blurry photo, you get the idea)

20190105_160858.jpg

The important feature is that the drive pulley and idler rollers are supported at both ends - they are much stronger that way and the bearings last longer. Permits tensioning the belt significantly higher to reduce backlash and system compliance. The motor belts are not tensioned as much, and divorcing the motor from the main drive with a reduction belt helps the motor bearing live longer.

-Ralph
20190105_160910.jpg

Ok thanks to come back , L profile was think to use just for base frame and gantry thin steel box or heavy duty aluminium extruded, sorry my bad if I didn’t explain that,
Yes you are right about L shape for twisting, and was thinking but didn’t specify thicker rectangular for base frame,
About software, if i will chase linux or SheetCAM what possible look for , i mean more explicitbor a link where to read because nothing come in mi mind as question
Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Olso could you point me about closed loop motor you got and happy with?
There are hybrid servo drive closed loop or closed loop motor
Thanks again

Attachments

• 1CDB8053-FA6F-47EE-A78C-A424269FE912.png
    1CDB8053-FA6F-47EE-A78C-A424269FE912.png
    938.8 KB · Views: 11
What about this type, have too look for brake board ? thanks for patience with me, I don’t want to be pain in the ass but I want to learn thanks

Attachments

• A458F038-F8B1-493B-869A-4469623E5552.png
    A458F038-F8B1-493B-869A-4469623E5552.png
    870.4 KB · Views: 7
I have been reading your post again ,about stationary belt I think i will use 30mm, but have to decide what material i will use for gantry,what pitch choose for belt ? Bu the way for what software you guys recommend, not really impressed with mach3 for plasma

Either of those motors will work. Mach3 isn't the best, but it's cheap and there is a lot of support. I have run a plasma on Mach3 and it works. I think

Steppers - I'm using the StepperOnline NEMA34's to retrofit my mill. I've not run them yet, but, they appear to be rather good quality. I'm not impressed with the cable connections - those will be replaced - but otherwise I'm satisfied. More importantly, they have alarm outputs (for the E-stop circuit), and you can change the encoder count deviation alarm in the drives using their free software. Both of these features were mandatory (for me).

It really depends on what's easily available to you, but I'd shy away from the no-name Ebay stuff. The StepperOnline offerings are probably about the same as most Chinese ebay things, but at least they've paid to have different color drives and they have an actual web site with actual tech support. Small but meanful reasurrance (for me, anyway).

StepperOnline also offer a higher-specification series of steppers/drives that I suspect are genuine Leadshines (rebranded) if you want to spend more money. Those are creeping up on cheap servo prices and their Y-series (from your post) appear hit the sweet spot for performance vs. cost.

Belts - For the stationary belts I'd suggest AT5-30mm. It really depends on local (to you) availability, but the AT belt profile is better than common HTD for backlash. Real Gates GT2/3 belts 30mm wide are very expensive but are also good for positioning applications. If all you can get are HTD belts, fine. You can always have the drive pulleys hard-anodized for a few dollars to decrease the tooth to belt gap and reduce backlash.

3mm pitch belts are going to be very hard to find in 30mm wide, and 8mm pitch are too coarse. The drive pulley will be very large, which will require a greater than 5:1 primary reduction ratio - not practical with a compact belt drive. So the 5mm pitch hits the sweet spot using a 16T drive pulley and a 3:1 or 3.5:1 primary reduction. The 5mm-16T pulley is the smallest pitch diameter recommended by a few belt manufacturers for decent belt life. And use the largest possible idler pulleys to reduce back-bending stress - think 35-40mm.

For the primary drive HTD5M or AT5M, 20mm are plenty stiff. Get whatever your bank account can support - the AT pulleys are a bit pricy.

Gantry - depending on your desired cutting area (1.7m, right?), I'd get a 2m long, 75mm square aluminum tube, maybe 4-5mm wall thickness and use that as my primary gantry tube. The rails will be hot-rolled steel strips, 100mm wide x 3mm thick.

Don't get a big plate and have them cut out - you want the rolled/rounded edges that strip steel generally has. Drill & tap 6mm holes every 100mm near the top and bottom of the tube sides and bolt the steel strips on. The strips should have generously oversized holes to permit alignment/adjustment. This combination will be lighter and stiffer than using extrusions, and probably cheaper too. Just a bit more work drilling the holes.

Software - you can't go wrong with LinuxCNC, and the new(ish) THCAD torch height system looks spectacular. I don't have much personal experience with LinuxCNC, but I was very, very close to swapping to it for my mill rebuild. THCAD appears to be on par with high-dollar OEM THC's and the Neuron system.

I'm very happy with UCCNC for plasma (and milling) control. Very stable, and it has many built-in features specifically for plasma systems. I'm not a fan of Mach3, but it mostly works.

THC - The PriceCNC AVHC-10 is only available through Xtreme Plasma now. I believe they bought out PriceCNC earlier this year and while they will sell you an AVHC-10, Xtreme will not support the THC unless you purchase their machines. That said, I think it's the best stand-alone THC short of the Neuron.

The Neuron Lite is, quite frankly, awesome. Spectacular control of the torch, tons of features, extremely well integrated with UCCNC software. The downside is it's expensive. And you can't control the Z-axis except through the Neuron 'box' - UCCNC (or Mach3) is not connected to the Z-axis at all. Neuron 'owns' the Z-axis, so to speak. Makes for a very responsive torch height control, but you cannot use the Z-axis for anything else (router motor, laser, whatever). That was why the Neron didn't get used on the last build as we want to add a quick-change router spindle to the Z-axis.

The Proma is functional. It works, it's fairly cheap, it's better than nothing, and so far it's behaved properly on the machine I just finished.

Those are the ones I have personal experience with. There are other stand-alone THC's available, particularly in Europe, but you'll have to research those yourself.

Bottom line - For someone who wants to save some money and doesn't mind working a bunch of stuff out, I'd suggest LinuxCNC/THCAD.

For someone who wants it running as quickly as possible with as little fuss as possible, I'd suggest UCCNC/Neuron or UCCNC/Proma (if you need the Z-axis).

LinuxCNC is more capable than UCCNC (and UCCNC is more capable than Mach3), but LinuxCNC has a steeper learning curve.

Ok, that's enough. Go do some research and CAD modeling!

-Ralph

Back