CNC Conversion Kits ?

However, the big disadvantage modern laptops have for use with Mach3, is that they rarely come with a parallel (or printer) port.

An advantage the desktop has, is that a used one that's quite capable of running Mach3 can be bought for very little money and can be a permanent part of the CNC installation.
M

I would challenge you to find any new PC - laptop or desktop - that comes with a parallel port. The days of the parallel port are over for any computer, as that technology has been surpassed and replaced by the USB port. Also, for thiose who insist, there are still many used laptops for sale that have parallel ports, although I would not waste my time, energy or money on one myself.

I, instead, purchased a converter that gets me over all of that, called the 'UC100', and is available from CNC4PC for $129.00. No more do I have to worry about tracking down a PC with a parallel port. I also don't have to worry about replacing any of my breakout boards, as the UC100 has a DB25 connector on one end and a USB connector on the other. It works very well and is designed especially for Mach3. This was $129.99 well spent.

Jim

This morning I got brave and thought that I would put power to my new system. After I tried unsuccessfully to configure the software I contacted Probotix and discovered that with the PBX-USB board I can't use Mach 3 according to them. So against my better judgment I bought what I thought was their software. I finally got the activation code this afternoon and attempted to install it . After several attempts to get loaded I was about to give them a call. After 5pm no tech service. I'm really getting frustrated with the whole thing. I thought that hobbies were suppose to be relaxing and not stressful. Well maybe tomorrow.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I don't have any advice to offer either, as far as fixing them, since I'm not familiar with either the hardware or software you are using. I will say, however, that I am really surprised that Mach3 won't work, given how open that platform is. The configuration options seem limitless to me, but Probotix knows more about their product than I do.

Can you return it and get your money back? You should have a grace period of 15 days, or more. If you can, that's the right thing to do, or else (I can feel it in my bones) it will be nickel-and-diming you to death. I purchased all cheap Chinese hardware and was able to get everything to work quickly and accurately.

I have a five axis breakout board that works like a charm with Mach3. Mach3 is what will be driving this hobby for some time, so it will benefit you to switch while your losses are minimal, rather than wait until you've invested a huge amount of time and money into a less-than-satisfactory system.

Just my 2¢

Good Luck,
Jim

Thanks for that information Jim. I tend to agree with you. I'm at the point where I will dig out one of the old computers that we have and dedicate that strictly to CNC. That's what I should have done to start with. Like I have said this a hobby and is suppose be fun and relaxing. So far It has been a very stressful endeavor.

Here is what I purchased - use it as a guideline, not necessarily a shopping list. I have a Grizzly 8689, which is similar to your mill:

Breakout Board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300883814426?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Driver:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251224738311

Microstep Driver:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M542H-CNC-S...729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3f461ba1

Motor, 282 oz-in:
http://www.automationtechnologiesin...r-quarter-inch-dual-shaft-with-flat-282-oz-in

Motor, 425 oz-in:
http://www.automationtechnologiesin...stepper-motor-425-oz-in-14”-shaft-with-a-flat

USB-to-Parallel Interface (UC100): <--- very good product
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=93

These all work well and are easy to interface and set up with Mach3.

Good luck to you.

Jim

Notice no one has come back with a negative opinion about my setup? The reason is that everyone is afraid to experiment with Chinese products; therefore, they can't come back with any opinion. I built a $20,000 machine shop that is over 90% Chinese precision equipment and I LOVE IT!!!!

Their products are all high quality, just not long-lasting. That means they will be good for the average hobbyist, whose demands are modest, but lousy for the commercial production team, whose demands will far outweigh the tradeoffs necessary to produce these little mechanical miracles.

PERIOD.

I would challenge you to find any new PC - laptop or desktop - that comes with a parallel port. The days of the parallel port are over for any computer, as that technology has been surpassed and replaced by the USB port. Also, for thiose who insist, there are still many used laptops for sale that have parallel ports, although I would not waste my time, energy or money on one myself.

I, instead, purchased a converter that gets me over all of that, called the 'UC100', and is available from CNC4PC for $129.00. No more do I have to worry about tracking down a PC with a parallel port. I also don't have to worry about replacing any of my breakout boards, as the UC100 has a DB25 connector on one end and a USB connector on the other. It works very well and is designed especially for Mach3. This was $129.99 well spent.

Jim

Maybe , maybe not, i think it will probably keep hanging on in their like rs23,2 rs485, bar codes can bus and all thouse other spacific kind of interfaces, the latency achivable with the ecp port is awsome, you would almost certainly need a dedicated pci card to match it.

For example USB dosnt have interupts, this is the only way for hardware to tell the pc that it needs the cpu, usb is polled.

I think definetly for the hobbiest who probably isn't going to be swapping between systems and wants to find a cheep way in its still quite aplicable

I do agree that if your trying to multi role a pc you have their may be issues with parrallel port availability and the usb options may proove very good.

Stuart

ps , love the tool box electronics enclosure :)

Sorry to hear about the problems and frustration you're encountering with this build. My hardware (Chinese) went together without a hitch and it powered up and ran perfectly. I heeded the warnings of the laptop/USB port use and used a very cheap PC that uses XP as the operating system. Once I became familiar with the software calibration and (still learning) Mach 3, I was ready to cut metal. I did have some times during the learning process when I was ready to chunk the whole works and go back to my manual mill, but when I do my part, the little machine is really fun and well worth the time and trouble.

I think going to a dedicated PC to get the system up and running would be your best bet in the long run. Once you are familiar with the system as a whole, you can experiment with laptops and USB ports and the like.

I hope you get the system running soon as it's a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I too love the tool box idea. You can even use the top tray for small tools. :)) Good luck and keep at it. It's well worth the time and trouble.

Jimemac, I like you breakout board with the remote...I assume you have the remote!? I also like the USB to parallel port interface.I may need to order one of each

Jimemac, I like you breakout board with the remote...I assume you have the remote!? I also like the USB to parallel port interface.I may need to order one of each

I have the remote.

I don't think you can go wrong ordering both of those items.

Mach3 takes some time to undrstand and set up, but, since I've already done that work with this hardware, you can tap my brain for help.

Jim

Back