CNC Conversion Kits ?

Make sure you use silicon grease any time you're mounting electronics on a heat sink. This allows better heat transfer than bolting it on dry.

Also, confirm that you aren't creating a short circuit between parts. The mounting tab on electronic components is commonly connected to one of the terminal 'legs'.

Well the USPS got me on the breakout board that I was returning for credit toward a USB board. Their tracking shows it left the mail facility on the 16th of May and never to be seen again I guess.ThankfullyI was smart enough I insure it.
Anyway the tracking on the new board staes that it will arrive Tuesday and the ballscrew conversion from CNCFusion is suppose to arrive tomorrow afternoon.
Should able to get started on the conversion this coming week.Hopefully!

Just as well. Mach3 documentation makes it pretty clear using a laptop computer is not recommended when using the parallel port. Laptops generally have power saving electronics that shut down the parallel port when not sending data. Since the parallel port is not used through a normal printer driver, and is not sending printer data, it tends to shutdown when running Mach3. The USB port should solve that.
The Probotix boards are not heat sink friendly. The ideal thing would be to screw the driver modules to an aluminum bar, but that won't be easy because of their layout.
I have built several shop-friendly systems. I found it works quite well if you use a fan to pressurize the electronics enclosure. On the outside of the cabinet, on the suction side of the fan, install an automotive type air filter. This will allow the fan to pressurize the cabinet with clean air.

Another issue with Mach3 and laptops is that laptops are designed to save power by hibernating or switching to screen saver. Either will interrupt a CNC run. The best (read required) setup is a dedicated desktop computer with screensaver and power management shut off, no internet connection and no other programs running.

Another issue with Mach3 and laptops is that laptops are designed to save power by hibernating or switching to screen saver. Either will interrupt a CNC run. The best (read required) setup is a dedicated desktop computer with screensaver and power management shut off, no internet connection and no other programs running.

No argument there, and if there's no internet connection there's no need to have an anti-virus program running either.
AV programs do an awful lot of constant background checking which uses memory and CPU cycles.

On another note, I did a little experimenting and found that Mach3, eMachineshop, and D2Nc will all run on Virtual XP in Win7, but you must be running in 32bit (x86) and not 64 bit (x64).

M

Pagemaker,
I have the LMS mill that I have converted to CNC. I used a CNCFusion kit with ballscrews and nuts. For the CNC driver I am using the HobbyCNC 4axis setup with the largest steppers that they offer. If you are not interested in assembling the board (which isn't all that hard) then take a look at the Gecko G540 4axis drive board. I am using Mach 3 as my machine driver software and highly recommend it. I have been using a combination of AlibreCAM and Alibre CAD for 3d design and TurboCAD and DolphinCAM for 2D.
FYI, I know that a lot of people really swear by the G540 board. I am actually building up a setup to drive my 7x14 lathe at the moment so I can compare them. I have had no issues with the HobbyCNC board in either my router or my mill.
Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with. I am no expert and learning myself but am willing to provide any insight that I can.
Regards,
Bob
Bob thanks for the offer. I too went with the CNCFusion ballscrew conversion that went together pretty well. The electronics are from Probotix and look good. Just waiting for some connectors to wire the stepper motors. Mach 3 here also. I will have plenty of questions once I'm ready to power up!

I thought that I'd post some pictures of what I've done so far on the electronic. I still need to finish the wiring for the X,Y and Z motor feeds and the USB jack to the outside of the box.

20130604_183326.jpg 20130604_183002.jpg 20130608_055434.jpg 20130608_055515.jpg

This is simply not true! I have had a dedicated laptop for my setup with no problems. All you have to do is configure the hardware and Windows not to use the power-save features or screen savers - a simple matter - and use the AC adapter when running Mach3. This way, you can take the laptop with you and create the designs while watching TV, then carry it back out to the garage when it's time to cut. Laptops are quite powerful these days and can handle any aspect of Mach3 that any desktop PC can. There is no reason to make an unnecessary investment in a desktop PC that's not really needed.

In my opinion, a laptop is the best setup.

Jim

I have taken my laptop out of power save mode and shut off the screen savers. I keep an AC adaptor connected . We will probably put it to the test on Monday or Tuesday!

This is simply not true! I have had a dedicated laptop for my setup with no problems. All you have to do is configure the hardware and Windows not to use the power-save features or screen savers - a simple matter - and use the AC adapter when running Mach3. This way, you can take the laptop with you and create the designs while watching TV, then carry it back out to the garage when it's time to cut. Laptops are quite powerful these days and can handle any aspect of Mach3 that any desktop PC can. There is no reason to make an unnecessary investment in a desktop PC that's not really needed.

In my opinion, a laptop is the best setup.

Jim

As you say, easy to configure, just customize the power management on AC to never shut down the screen or hard drive, and to do nothing when you close the lid.

However, the big disadvantage modern laptops have for use with Mach3, is that they rarely come with a parallel (or printer) port.

An advantage the desktop has, is that a used one that's quite capable of running Mach3 can be bought for very little money and can be a permanent part of the CNC installation.

Nothing wrong with using a laptop though, and it does have the advantage of having a screen attached.

M

Back