Cleaning ways and metal surfaces/?

I like it cause the evap rate is slower than acetone and faster than paint thinner. Good for cleaning paint brushes too.
Mark

A good choice is Oil Eater, use it full strength; it will soften paint, but it will re harden. I would definitely not use volatile flammable solvents, perhaps kerosene or paint thinner might be OK, but Oil Eater is a better solvent than either one of them; life is too short for serious burns; do not get me wrong, I use acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner and suchlike for small cleanup jobs, but not big cleanup jobs like machinery.
For machine ways with surface rust, I first use a carbide scraper, then go to an india oilstone and liberal solvent to keep it from getting clogged up. Richard King uses this stone method with windex for deburring scraping work.

Really nice lathe , I agree clean her up and oil her up and use her to do the work you can with her. Colchester lathes are top shelf machines. About fifty years ago I ran some with slanted ways. Cool idea and they worked as hard as the tornadoes next to them. Now I wish I had one of either of them.

thanks everybody. yeah luckily I'm starting out in a pretty good place, its not like its a barn find so I think I have enough here to give this a go while I wait for my 240. cheers

Back