Cleaning up a Charles Parker number 474 double-swivel bench vise

Great job, now it's all down hill beating bolts rusted in holes , heating and burning twisting and the vise will live on. It's what there made for.
Good job on a nice vice.

I enjoyed reading of the restoration and seeing it’s been some years since this post I’d like to hear how the vise has been for you? I recently acquired a Charles Parker machinist vise (number 825) with a swivel base. It weighs 130 pounds, and isn’t much fun to tote around.
IMG_2384.jpeg
It was left in a Lady’s yard, in a rough state.
IMG_2415.jpeg
But after some wire wheel work it came out pretty nice. It’s a fantastic thing to see, I’m currently deciding whether or not to use the swivel base. I’ve never owned a good vise until now and my experience has been that they only swivel when I don’t want them to.
I’d love to hear more about your experience as time has gone on.

I have a parker vice, the swivel works great. Mine has one of the swivel locking bolts.

One thing I will caution you on, is I've been told that these vises are not to be used as presses. The week link is the nut I was told, if you use them as a press you can break the nut. I broke a Wilton doing that, the jaw casting broke, so I am a little cautious after receiving the warning from 2 people. Just passing on what I was told.

Enjoy that vise... Does yours have the round ended screw with the tensioning screw in it so the handle can stay put? I love that feature... Later models didn't have them. oops, just noticed yours is not the rounded end, but does look like it has the tensioning screw.

Last edited:
94E0C015-A59E-483B-BAD1-BB237E0FD072.jpeg
It didn’t come with it but I had a screw and ground a cap head to fit, It’s absolutely ideal. Just enough tension to hold it but not enough that it has to be messed with to get it loose. “Don’t use as press” ✅ Also don’t use as anvil ✅✅ I’ve owned it for 3 days and it currently feels like my shop is going to revolve around it

if you put a brass slug, or ball with a spring, you'll be able to use the screw to adjust pressure, and move the handle to where you want it without having to release the screw. The screw will control the tension..

if you put a brass slug, or ball with a spring, you'll be able to use the screw to adjust pressure, and move the handle to where you want it without having to release the screw. The screw will control the tension..
I have the spring in there now, it’s working like a champ so far. I didn’t think to drop a ball in. Thanks for the insight!

A small brass cylinder slug will probably work better.
If the spring is working no need to improve it. I didn't know you had a spring already in there.

@MotorCityKid

First......... Welcome to the group!

Your 825 cleaned up beautifully - nice work!

Mine has been doing great, a wonderful addition to the shop.
It is used regularly for various shop tasks, the double swivel comes in very useful.
The jaws grab and hold so much better than the vise it replaced.
My Parker is not used for welding, pressing or with sledge hammers.

The vise on my welding table is this one:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...sive-vise-based-ring-roller.91759/post-839712

It has also been good, but I don't feel too bad about abusing it!
(....and it is nowhere near as clean as it was in that thread.....)

Brian

Last edited:
Thanks @brino, I joined to get to see the pictures in your thread. I’m happy to hear that it’s worked out well for you, the more I learn the more I appreciate finding this old vise. I’m excited to put some work in this one.

Definitely don't use any quality vise as a press. I recently had to fix the screw for a friend's Parker 975 (also 5" jaw) when he was pressing a bearing with it and decided to add a cheater pipe to the handle. It's a tossup whether the nut will fail, the screw will fail or the casting will fail, but I've seen all three happen.

I did a blog post on restoring a Parker 975 a couple of years ago. The 900 series Parkers were one step below the 800 series like yours so they were a touch lighter for a given jaw width. This vise was 105lbs on a scale. I think you'll find the Parker swivel base is pretty secure.

Back