Cleaning up a Charles Parker number 474 double-swivel bench vise

What did you use to "tap out" the nut? A brass drift punch? dead blow mallet?

Since I could not tap on the little dovetail keeper directly I had to push on the nut that it was keeping.
I used a short (6") piece of 2x2 lumber and a mallet to gently persuade it out.
I was not going to risk doing any damage to the parts.

How thick is that CP body casting? It would be great to document some specs for this vise. (if you have time).

I forgot that I was going to weigh the thing before bolting it down........doh!
Maybe when I move it (if I ever get a new shop built!) I'll remember to do that.

-brino

I hope to find a larger Charles Parker vise someday soon., like the 975 or 289 1/2.
You found a good one in decent shape. No cracks.

There is no such thing as too many photos, especially like these. This is one beautiful rebuild. WAY TO GO!!

(and to think that before this post, I only knew of Charlie Parker for his great music and vices) ;)

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Are both CP wrenches the same size/number? Are the wrenches a "standard" imperial size or metric?
Some CP vises on sale don't come with the wrench, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
Finding the right CP vise wrench takes a lot of luck and sellers ask a small fortune for them.

I wonder how many CP vise wrench models there are? I see yours is a #2 for one, Brino.
The other one looks a bit thinner.

Not to preempt Brino but the #2 Parker wrench is a 6 point, 3/4" hex wrench. If you find the right vise, you can easily fab a replacement wrench for it.

Very nice brino !!!! Your going to hate using it and getting it marked up now though.

Greg

Brino, the risk too great: you need to place that vice in secure storage to avoid damage. It would be safe in my shop...

I wonder how many CP vise wrench models there are? I see yours is a #2 for one, Brino.
The other one looks a bit thinner.

Both of mine are #2 wrenches.....and as @mikey says they are indeed 3/4"....though one is a little looser than the another.
-brino

I've seen Parker vises that use a cross bar handle like Wilton swivel bullets. Do you think Parker switched and ditched the wrenches?
It would save money, not have to producing individual wrenches for all the vises. The other wrench sizes I've seen are 5/8" and possibly 13/16".

Last edited:
The original Parker vises used a T-handle for the base. Later (not sure when), they switched to the wrench.

You did a great job restoring that vise. It sure is a beauty. I'm thinking you'll demote the old (drops the work) vise to the rank of doorstop. This one is a family heirloom.

--Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back