Cleaning tooling

maybe the contractor substituted a different material. my cousin's spouse, the iron worker, says they've been using this type of steel for a long time in the rust belt. building bridges here with it as we speak

Yeah, it was supposed to be that weathering steel stuff, I think. Regardless, they wound up sandblasting it and painting it. Might have something to do with the fact that the stadium is very close to the ocean and is covered with salt when the wind is right.

Yeah, it was supposed to be that weathering steel stuff, I think. Regardless, they wound up sandblasting it and painting it. Might have something to do with the fact that the stadium is very close to the ocean and is covered with salt when the wind is right.
In fact I think the stadium you mention @mikey is referenced in the wikipedia article :)

Back around to the Boeshield T-9 aerosol, I us it on just about everything in the garage. I spray a light coat on bare metal surfaces when it’s raining or high humidity. It leaves a light waxy residue that wipes right off. Very pleased with it. I think I have five cans scattered around the garage.

1 part anhydrous lanolin, melted, cut with 5 parts mineral spirits away from the heat source, and then 1 part ATF added and mixed well. Keep in a closed container so the mineral spirits do not evaporate away in storage. Wet coat the metal with a brush or similar -- thin, invisible, and dry to the touch when it dries, zero problems with rust after application. Great for higher end and precision tools, as well as more ordinary tools. but I have not (and will not) try it on micrometers and similar. Change the proportions to meet your needs for other applications. Relatively inexpensive. Get the lanolin on eBay.

We have a stadium here(on Oahu) that was designed by engineers to surface rust, and that was supposed to protect the metal from deep rusting. In a couple of years the "surface rust" was falling off in sheets, and cost millions to fix. So rust gets a mad face here....

It's called Core-ten steel. I've seen it used architecturally and on large high voltage power poles. Also used on bridges and marine shipping containers.

I read this part way down the page: " Weathering steel is sensitive to humid subtropical climates, and in such environments, it is possible that the protective patina may not stabilize but instead continue to corrode. For example, the former Omni Coliseum, built in 1972 in Atlanta, never stopped rusting, and eventually large holes appeared in the structure. This was a major factor in the decision to demolish it just 25 years after construction. The same thing can happen in environments laden with sea salt. Hawaii's Aloha Stadium, built in 1975, is one example of this. "

Last edited:
I have several triangular pyramid shaped wind chimes, made of Core-ten. They were unpainted in the store, and I would not have bought them, until I read of them rusting to form a protective coating. They did as advertised, formed a nice brown patina, and have stayed that way for about 30 years now.

Yeah, Hawaiian salt will eat anything, even Core-ten steel. Our patina is called holes ... :(

Back