Cleaning Oil And Grime From Used Machinery

I'm going to try some of the things mentioned, to see ho clean I can get it. The original paint is not in bad shape, just oil stained. Hopefully it will clean up.

Thanks guys.

Sometimes you have to repaint, and start by stripping to parts (and assessing wear) and back to bare metal - my lathe looked like it had been "repainted" with either a piece of old carpet or a dead dog. Not recently dead, either...

Dave H. (the other one)

I've found that brake cleaner or Foamy engine brite works great to get into and under grease in tough to reach spots and floats it off. With really heavy grease a second application is sometimes necessary. Use of a scotchbrite pad with the cleaning solution works great to get down to bare metal where necessary.
Several guys I know do the steam cleaning trick to remove tough grease but I have a hard time accepting that it won't get moisture in lots of places you can't get to to remove it or grease later to protect from rust.

Bob

If you can get it, and afford it, Sherwin Williams Tile-clad (two-part epoxy) is bulletproof. Rustoleum works too. Use nonaqueous cleaners/strippers. Stick to machine gray, or as close to factory color as possible. Repaint as a last resort.

Have you guys had good luck using thinner as a degreaser? It seems the last few times I've used thinner it just doesn't seem to cut grease like it used to. I know most thinners have been reformulated in the last few years to make them more "environmentally friendly" so I just assumed they were cut down some to make them more soluble.

Bob

Last thinner I got in this state looked like milk :distrust:

I use everything listed above. I mainly use mineral spirits and used clothes dryer sheets. My wife saves them for me. They scrub but don't scratch. On my recent lathe restoration I used lots of brake cleaner and everything I had apart I sprayed with oven cleaner and then pressure washed. My lathe was old and had sat or a very long time and had several rattle can paint jobs. I used rustoleum industrial primer and rustoleum industrial gray. When I Strup tractors I use a 4.5" grinder with a wire wheel but nt a good idea on machine surfaces.

you have to love the crowd that freaks out about gas then recommends some other flammable item..

Back