Cleaning Oil And Grime From Used Machinery

mc-gyver47

Registered
Registered
Has anyone repainted their machines? What's the best product to remove oil stains from used machinery, and what's the best primer and paint for improving it's appearance? I have a LeBlond Lathe and a Bridgeport Mill I would like to repaint.

P1011277a.jpg

There are quite a few floor/industrial cleaners with "purple" in the name. Most of those work well for oily grime. Home Depot has it.

If you can get it outside, a good going over with a pressure washer will take off the majority of the accumulated crap. Another coating of paint Thinner remove most remove the remaining oil/grease. Oven cleaner will remove some stains. Added elbow grease will aid the process. Don't forget to oil bare metal surfaces that won't be painted.

Randy

I'm restoring a bridgeport right now actually.

As above, however an addition: ive find that marking fluid remover works /amazingly/ well on the few spots that the above don't work on, don't use it everywhere, the stuff is pretty expensive.

I use pretty much all of the above. One not mentioned is automotive wheel cleaner. It gets stuff off nothing else will touch, and won't harm paint or any other finish. Be sure to get the "All wheels" variety that says "Safe for painted wheels.

Rusty parts get soaked in Evaporust. Amazing stuff

Unless you are hell bent on re-painting the machines. I’m in the category of just giving everything a good cleaning and see how it looks first. I’m in favor of seeing a factory paint job even if it’s a tad worn out. When I see a machine re-painted, my head starts thinking bad things, but this is just me. Good Luck on your projects…Dave.

I'm with Dave. I've cleaned up a lot of machines in recent years. I bet I repainted lass than half once I found what was under the grime.

Back