Cleaning Die Files

Recommend against using a file card. True, they work - sort of, except for tough “pins” or fine files and will take some edge off the files. My go to for cleaning files - obviously a synthetic fiber brush and solvent (whatever you’ve got), then a scrap of aluminum sheet (not too thin, about 1/16”) pushed along the line of the teeth. The file teeth will create a little comb that matches the tooth profile - it won’t get everything, but it won’t hurt the file.

Recommend against using a file card. True, they work - sort of, except for tough “pins” or fine files and will take some edge off the files. My go to for cleaning files - obviously a synthetic fiber brush and solvent (whatever you’ve got), then a scrap of aluminum sheet (not too thin, about 1/16”) pushed along the line of the teeth. The file teeth will create a little comb that matches the tooth profile - it won’t get everything, but it won’t hurt the file.
Another alternative is a piece of rifle brass - crush the mouth to make a flat area and run that along the length of the teeth. I use a fiber brush for regular cleaning, and a piece of brass for removing stuck pins.

GsT

Back