Cleaning Die Files

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I have nearly 100 die files I inherited from my father-in-law over 25 years ago. I never paid much attention to them but do use a few on occasion. Today I needed one, so I pulled out the boxes to find most were covered in grease, grime, and oil from years of use in a commercial shop. I cleaned the couple I needed with a file card and was amazed at how sharp they still were.

That got me to thinking it might be time to clean the whole batch. I don't really relish sitting at the bench for hours on end scrubbing with a file card. Many of them have teeth so fine the card is of little use. Others are so thin and small I doubt they could withstand a scrubbing without breaking. There are literally dozens of profiles, and some specially ground to fit in tight places.

Has anyone found a less labor-intensive method for clean the years of crud off these fairly fragile files? I was hoping there was some cleaning fluid on the market that I could soak them in to get the bulk of the crud off. Then rubbing them with a fine file card or soft brass brush. Any input would be appreciated.

Someone suggested vinegar a while back . :dunno:

No. Don't do anything harsh. You're sitting on a treasure - clean them as you need them. Bulk cleaners, most of which are acidic, are going to reduce the life of the irreplaceable tools that you have.

GsT

If they are caked with grease I'd soak them in kerosine for a day or so, then clean them with a brass bristle brush. If rusty I'd use Evaporust.

Take the handles off. Start with mild soap (dish soap). Soak them a few at a time in a container. Rinse and dry with compressed air and/or a towel. I laid all mine out on a towel in the sun. If that doesn't clean them, use the file card. Go to stronger chemicals, such as Simple Green next. My files get aluminum, Bondo and paint on them, which all require different cleaning methods.

I’m about ready to start building a die filer. Files are not readily available.

+1 for whitegas or kerosene - or even diesel. These files are made of steel, hardened, so there is no worries about absorbing the hydrocarbons as you have with white cast iron.

Once the gunk is saturated, they you can use a stiff nylon or durlon brush (or even a tooth brush (polyester) to work the gunk off...

Last edited:
When a file card is too big for the fine tooth files I use one of these. If stainless is to harsh for ya, they can be purchased in brass also.

1708526914237.png

Back