Clausing Vert Mill Crank Ball and dial not moving in Unison

Gentlemen, the motorized power feed was an option that was available and replaced the standard parts on one end of the lead screw and table. The knurled nut being discussed is indeed intended to lock the micrometer feed dial to the lead screw and serves no purpose in setting any kind of end play. End play is set by installing shim washers of varying thickness between the leadscrew bearing (044-004) and the bushing (049-015) on the right end of the leadscrew. Those shims are shown on the exploded parts drawing.

There should be no need to drill a hole for a setscrew. It sounds like you might be missing a washer (932-043) that is supposed to be between the knurled lock nut (537-015) and the dial (233-002). If the washer is in place, then something else has been assembled incorrectly. Sadly, I do not have a drawing of the parts that are included with the power feed.

Another thing that might be wrong is that for some reason the belcrank is not clamping the bushing to the leadscrew like it should. Check for burrs on the woodruff key, the leadscrew itself, and the ID of the belcrank. I doubt that this is the case however, as you indicated that you are able to tighten the dial locking nut. If the bushing were loose, the nut would not tighten up as it should. So, based on what you've told us thus far, I am leaning in the direction of a missing washer between the dial and the locking nut, but there is no guarantee that this is a correct identification of the problem.

You can download the instructions and parts diagram for the 8520/8525 from our Downloads area. To save you from searching for it, you can click on this link: Clausing 8520/8525 Manual

Hi All,

After much work, the solution was simple, the bearing on the right side was set too far in(towards the left). When I used a gear puller and moving the shaft with the bearing on the left side it moved the bearing on the right side out(towards the right). now the dial moves in unisom with the crank handle.
In other words I had to fine tune the position of the bearings when I put them back in place.
I hope this helps someone in the future if they encounter such a situation.

Thanks for all your Help!........Raz

The bearing on the right end of the table normally seats against a shoulder on the leadscrew, then excess endplay is taken up with the shim washers that I mentioned in my previous post. I expect that your problem will reappear in time as the bearing reseats.

EDIT: Threads merged - Thanks Robert!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Terry,

There is a washer there, however when I pushed the bearing on the left side a little further to the right side the crank handle moves
with the dial indicator. It now must be in contact with the dial and the crank handle.
Sorry , I couldn't get back to you sooner but I was very busy at work, and did not have time to read my e-mails.

Regards.........Raz

Back