Clausing Vert Mill Crank Ball and dial not moving in Unison

razinman

Active User
Registered
Good Morning to all,
I have a Clausing vert Mill #8525(diff vs 8520 is quill size) which I bought many years ago. I decided
to dismantle, clean and paint it. I finished the entire lower section(have not worked on the head yet).
In putting it back together I noticed the right ball crank handle turns smooth but the dial indicator does
not turn with it? The housing(#386-006) on the left is different than the housing on the right(#386-011),
however the housing on the right is STAMPED with part #386-006 yet it differs from the housing on the
left??.When I switch the ball crank handle and the dial indictor to the left side the dial indicator turns with
the handle appropriately .
The housing on the left side is motorized(which was replaced by a motor and no handle-the way I bought it).
I'm thinking of switching the right side housing with the left side housing and vice versa.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this(before I remove them)

Thanks for your help............Raz

All of the smaller lathes that I am familiar with have a dial locking thumb screw that allows you to position the cross slide or compound slide and then re-set the dial to zero (or some other number) as a repeatable starting point. for some reason, the 8520/8525 parts manual doesn't show this on any of the four feed or lift dials. Can anyone tell me why?

On my 8520 there is a knurled round nut between the ball handle and the dial which tightens the dial to the handle/shaft. Is that nut missing, or is it just not tightening?

Bill

On the lathes, that round nut (on some makes it is hex) plus the nut or special nut retaining the crank are used to set the feed screw end float. On the mill, with two sets of all of the parts, I assumed that you would preset one end and then do the adjustment with the other end. Is that not correct? That would probably result in at least one of the dials being loose unless the bushing is badly worn. Another difference that I see between the Clausing mill and the Clausing lathes is that the bushing (that the dial runs on) is locked to the feed screw by a set screw on the lathes but not as far as the parts drawing shows on the mill.

All of the smaller lathes that I am familiar with have a dial locking thumb screw that allows you to position the cross slide or compound slide and then re-set the dial to zero (or some other number) as a repeatable starting point. for some reason, the 8520/8525 parts manual doesn't show this on any of the four feed or lift dials. Can anyone tell me why?

I don't know either

Raz

On my 8520 there is a knurled round nut between the ball handle and the dial which tightens the dial to the handle/shaft. Is that nut missing, or is it just not tightening?
I do have this knurled round nut, I've tightened it but still doesn't work in together

Thanks....Raz

Bill
On the lathes, that round nut (on some makes it is hex) plus the nut or special nut retaining the crank are used to set the feed screw end float. On the mill, with two sets of all of the parts, I assumed that you would preset one end and then do the adjustment with the other end. Is that not correct? That would probably result in at least one of the dials being loose unless the bushing is badly worn. Another difference that I see between the Clausing mill and the Clausing lathes is that the bushing (that the dial runs on) is locked to the feed screw by a set screw on the lathes but not as far as the parts drawing shows on the mill.
Bill.....One side of my mill (left side) is motorized driven, the rt. side is the problem, perhaps I should try to drill out a hole for a set screw.

Thanks........Raz

Hi All,

After much work, the solution was simple, the bearing on the right side was set too far in(towards the left). When I used a gear puller and moving the shaft with the bearing on the left side it moved the bearing on the right side out(towards the right). now the dial moves in unisom with the crank handle.
In other words I had to fine tune the position of the bearings when I put them back in place.
I hope this helps someone in the future if they encounter such a situation.

Thanks for all your Help!........Raz

If the dial turns freely with all of the nuts tightened, that should work. But use a knurled thumb screw and be sure to put a lead pellet in the hole before the screw. Else in time, the set screw will scar the bushing.

Back