CLausing to VFD wiring help

Thanks for your input Karl
the lathe has a manual brake with linkage to the microswitch for the electric clutch so I don't think a brake resistor is needed. Also I have heard the Hunghang VFD's don't always have the Brake resistor control hardware in them
I've rewired the 220 circuits as per Jim's schematic the only thing I'm not clear on yet is on the schematic the VFD control wiring useing the F stop R with the 110 circuit thru it. I'll control the lathe when I first fire it up by the front panel of the VFD until I sure I'm not going to fry some thing.
thanks again to Jim for the work he has done on this

I've rewired the 220 circuits as per Jim's schematic the only thing I'm not clear on yet is on the schematic the VFD control wiring useing the F stop R with the 110 circuit thru it. I'll control the lathe when I first fire it up by the front panel of the VFD until I sure I'm not going to fry some thing.
thanks again to Jim for the work he has done on this

It was my pleasure. It kept me from working on a project that I didn't really want to do, but now I have to do it today.:whistle:

I agree with you on running the 120V wiring into the R/F control switch and the limit switch. The terminals are isolated, but it is not the best practice. I was trying to do this without adding any hardware. The best way would be to add some relays to isolate the wiring. If you like, I'll be happy update the drawing with a relay or two added.

Hey Jim - What Schematic package did you use for that final drawing? It's been years for me in IT and I'm guessing there is something quick and easy you use? This post helped me quite a bit. I still have the turret lathe project waiting for me. Appreciate all the help you send along here! CG/Jeff

That is good old AutoCad 2000. Nothing magic. I just grabbed another schematic that I had done some time ago and just moved the parts around. I do use Eagle CAD for actual electronic and circuit board design.

Last edited:
I have not looked into the specifics for the VFD used here, but in all my installs at work and at home I used the internal low voltage that the VFD supplies for the F/R, Speed Pot & Stop switches.

I use AutoCad 2000 Education version as well.
Pierre

Just a follow up and closure on this problem.
I tried to follow Jim's schematic and had little sucess. I just couldn't get it to work.
as usual I was trying to make it too hard. I emailed Jim, and he sent me a revised schematic . still no luck!
so I removed all the "red" wiring and started over with the original (clausing) schematic. Then I realized what was wrong, I was making the same error over and over and expecting a different result.
I am glad to say I followed Jims schematic got it all wired up, wired the VFD to the lathe and every works like it should. off, on and panic button and it powers up the lathe thru the VFD. Foward/stop/Reverse and motor runs the correct direction, apron lever engages the clutch like its suppose to, works like a dream.

a special thanks to the people who took the time to help a retired bodyman play electrician

It was my pleasure to help out. I'm happy to hear it's working, good job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back