Clausing Colchester 13"x36" Engine Lathe Parts Needed

ChandlerW

Registered
Registered
I posted over in parts wanted but this is probably a better forum since its Clausing-Colchester.
I scored a 1962 Clausing Colchester 13x36 engine lathe from craigslist.
I knew it was missing some parts but I didn't know how rare and expensive the parts can be.
I've tried Nobilla, PlazaMachinery, couple of other dealers in the UK, ebay.com, ebay.co.uk., and others.
I need the screw pinion (#8350), the handle (#8237), the dial (#8392), and the screw keep (#8261).
Also need the 63T gear for the power crossfeed. I'm going to get the Boston gear someone suggested but would like the original equipment if I can get it.

Good morning neighbor,looks like you and I are in the same boat.When I pick up my lathe I was thinking surly I would be able to find parts.Finding them I but paying for them is another problem.Just an FYI there is a Clausing dealer in the Houston area,but they also have the Clausing price.Frank is the guy that I talk to which they sell manuals and parts,super nice guy and very helpful.If you should give up on the use market I will find his email address----Good luck to us both----kroll

I got lucky and found the screw keep on ebay.co.uk. I was pestering a seller for a while and he emailed me when he listed the item.
I got a quote for a screw pinion for $575. Needless to say I'm going to have to keep looking for one.
_57_zpsunrarot1.jpg

This may very well turn in to a 'restoring this clausing colchester lathe' thread.
I cleaned out the headstock and put in some fresh iso 32 hydraulic oil. The 13x36 takes a little less than a gallon I found out. I did a google search and thought I needed 3 gallons. At $13 a gallon I was a little pained to buy 3, but I sucked it up and bought 3. Imagine my surprise when the Oil Fill Level sight glass was totally filled with fresh oil after the first gallon. The wife donated her new turkey baster to the cause and I got it down to the middle of the sight glass.

12015142_1015802728452355_6570495535224578072_o_zpssijy512f.jpg

Well if I was closer I would purchase a gal from ya,I will need to buy one from someplace.Where did you find it???

I found it at Advance Auto Parts.
My research showed Tellus 27 was the same as ISO 32.

This is from BP NZ

Shell Tellus 27 equivalent
3372338 Castrol Hyspin AWS 32 smallest amount 20ltr
4102391 BP Hyspin AWS 32 " 5ltr
3335088 BP HLP-HM 32 Energol " 5ltr

Shell Tellus 33 Equivalent
3375782 Castrol Hyspin AWS 68 Smallest amount 20ltr
4102392 " "
3335097 BP HLP-HM 68 Energol "
3335096 " "

Yeah and could I get the 5ltr amounts so still have 2 x 19 ltrs over the back of the lathe for the guy who cleans out the workshop after the promotion to the great workshop in the sky

I got lucky and found the screw keep on ebay.co.uk. I was pestering a seller for a while and he emailed me when he listed the item.
I got a quote for a screw pinion for $575. Needless to say I'm going to have to keep looking for one.
_57_zpsunrarot1.jpg

Do you have another lathe handy that you could use to make this part on?

Yes. Are you looking for one? Do you need the measurements of this one?

No. If you have another lathe available to you, this would be an easy part to make. If you don't, I'll be willing to offer to make one for you.

Back