Clausing 8520 Drawbar?

I just don't know if I should use a die on the end or machine the threads? It's just a standard 3/8-16 thread. Machined would probably be cleaner.
A good quality die will do a good job and you can get away with a little play with 3/8"-16. I know I pushed the McMaster Carr all-thread but the thing I don't like about the all-thread is when you pull the bar out for any reason and the 12+ inches of thread are dragging across the opening.

I will probably go with oversized bar, and just turn the OD to size. This way I can machine in the lip (whatever it's called) on the top end of the bar and not need to weaken anything by welding or pinning. I can also mill flats on the very top of the bar so I can just use a wrench to tighten and loosen and without another pin to weaken anything. If I can turn that length on the lathe without getting crazy vibration which is a big maybe with my setup.

You can pick up a set of cheapo collets on E-bay. They are China made naturally but they are good enough to get you started. I have a set and they are ok. However, they are not real deep so I don't like putting double end mills in them. I'm on the lookout for better USA made ones when I find a good deal. Here's a link if you are interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Morse-Tap...440089?hash=item1e9944c619:g:lPoAAOSw5cNYQFck

You'll like your 8520. Post a pic when you get the chance.
Most of what I have is double end mills. So if you find anything that does double give me a shout out please. It took me a while to find an end mill holder MT3 for my south bend lathe that would take doubles, a lot of them were only singles. If I can find that a weldon style holder in Mt2 I'll probably get that. But I think the MT3 was easier because of it being larger. I hate to think my collection of end mills would be useless.

Jeff, you won't find MT2 collets that will allow you to use double ended end mills. You can find end mill holders in MT2, I have a few of them here in the common sizes and a couple of them will hold double enders while a couple of the larger ones will not. If you end up with some end mill holders that do not, you can always cut your end mills in half with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel and then grind a flat onto the remaining shank. At least you'll get your use out of them. Myself, I only purchase the single ended ones anymore. One of the prices we pay for using something less than full sized machines.

I don't remember exactly where I purchased the end mill holders that I had to buy. A couple of them came with my mill. If I remember correctly, the purchased ones came from Shars.

Jeff, you won't find MT2 collets that will allow you to use double ended end mills. You can find end mill holders in MT2, I have a few of them here in the common sizes and a couple of them will hold double enders while a couple of the larger ones will not. If you end up with some end mill holders that do not, you can always cut your end mills in half with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel and then grind a flat onto the remaining shank. At least you'll get your use out of them. Myself, I only purchase the single ended ones anymore. One of the prices we pay for using something less than full sized machines.

I don't remember exactly where I purchased the end mill holders that I had to buy. A couple of them came with my mill. If I remember correctly, the purchased ones came from Shars.
Thanks Tery, I'll probably go the end mill holder route for my doubles. And when needed, may drop back to singles for the future.

I just posted pics of the mill in pieces not the base, I had to take all the rust off, it must have been in standing water at one time, or from someone mopping the floor..
Just follow the link in my signature.

Thanks Tery, I'll probably go the end mill holder route for my doubles. And when needed, may drop back to singles for the future.

I just posted pics of the mill in pieces not the base, I had to take all the rust off, it must have been in standing water at one time, or from someone mopping the floor..
Just follow the link in my signature.
Wow, you have quite a few pieces there. I was lucky I disassembled mine and brought it home in 4 large pieces if I remember correctly. I drafted my neighbor to help me assemble it.

I have a deeper collet in 3/8 that came with the machine that I can put double end mills in, and have. I'll have to look at the name on it when I'm in the shop. It's old. However, I agree, the new Chinese ones will not, they are to shallow.

Wow, you have quite a few pieces there. I was lucky I disassembled mine and brought it home in 4 large pieces if I remember correctly. I drafted my neighbor to help me assemble it.

No, I brought it home in 3 pieces, head, base, and column/table.
I am stripping it down. I figure if I take it apart I will understand the machine know what needs fixing, so when I put it to work, I know it's square, tight, and wet. I already found the bearings in the idler are probably gone. most of the machine looks very , very good. Also the machine stinks , so this is a good time to clean it up, and get rid of that smell. After all it's not in a shop, it's in my basement. The wife insisted the base was not coming in with all the rust, so that was handled yesterday out in the garage. A full wire and sanding with a grinder. I'm going to have to make levelers for it, and at the same time raise it up.. I was surprised how low it is.
Currently the base, base cabinet, and extender are getting stripped. Needs a second coat, this time with a 55gallon garbage bag over it. Many Clausing really used a lot of filler on the base which is why there were so many divets. I don't plan on filling, just paint, figure once pieces land on it, it wont' take big chunks. Man the horizontal (RAM) not sure what to call the slider weighed a ton. Holly crap.. that was tough getting it into my little SB 9a...

BTW if you look at my albums, you'll see how far I took the SB 9a... All the WAY!!! It's a great way to know a machine. That was 2 months of work morning, and night.

No, I brought it home in 3 pieces, head, base, and column/table.
I am stripping it down. I figure if I take it apart I will understand the machine know what needs fixing, so when I put it to work, I know it's square, tight, and wet. I already found the bearings in the idler are probably gone. most of the machine looks very , very good. Also the machine stinks , so this is a good time to clean it up, and get rid of that smell. After all it's not in a shop, it's in my basement. The wife insisted the base was not coming in with all the rust, so that was handled yesterday out in the garage. A full wire and sanding with a grinder. I'm going to have to make levelers for it, and at the same time raise it up.. I was surprised how low it is.
Currently the base, base cabinet, and extender are getting stripped. Needs a second coat, this time with a 55gallon garbage bag over it. Many Clausing really used a lot of filler on the base which is why there were so many divets. I don't plan on filling, just paint, figure once pieces land on it, it wont' take big chunks. Man the horizontal (RAM) not sure what to call the slider weighed a ton. Holly crap.. that was tough getting it into my little SB 9a...

BTW if you look at my albums, you'll see how far I took the SB 9a... All the WAY!!! It's a great way to know a machine. That was 2 months of work morning, and night.
I was looking at your shop pictures, You're doing it all wrong. That place is much to neat and tidy.:p I should come over and show you how it's done. :grin: You should not be able to walk in there without tripping over stuff and you should leave footprints in 1" (minimum) in the saw dust on the floor. :big grin: Let me know when you get it straightened out!

That's what it looks like now. There's no room to move. Don't know where I am going to put the Mill.
I have to get rid of something. I just don't know how it got that bad :D That's why everything had to be shot almost from above. no room to move. I have to get the desk I am building done, so I have more room.

Back