Clausing 100 mk3 lathe

One of the key items that i supposed could be a replacement but looks original is the threaded gear box change lever that goes on top of the qcgb. The second model 100 mk3B (i believe was the correct designation, the one that atlas renamed when they took over Clausing in 1945) has a cast handle that does not have any way of attaching a knob to it, it has a flat elongated teardropish shape to it. Where as my lathe has a 3 inch or so piece of 1/4ish Rod that is threaded on the end for what was originally a black ball knob which mine is missing. My lathe has the spot for the "clutch lever" and i even have the lever in the milk ceate that came with the lathe just none of the clutch guts. I'm assuming there was no longer a need after the motor was changed but i also think that it had more to do with the belt tensioning and if so my lathe could definitely benefit from having that ability back! No big rush on the pictures, I'm just happy someone is willing to share with and help educate my on the subject.
Thank You Very Much 34-40

Last edited:
I have a 100 with the clutch. The countershaft has brackets allow adjusting the belt tension. The clutch yoke also has adjusters so it can be adjusted once the belt tension is set. The clutch yoke is adjustable to account for change to the countershaft and does not play a part in belt tension.

I find the clutch useful but I would just put the switch in a more accessible place if I didn't have it. Throwing the clutch lever toward the tail of the lathe engages a brake, which is really useful.

I have a manual for a 100-1 and it has a page for the gear box that says "For lathes between Serial Nos. 1063 and 3400" with a knob like what you describe.

IMG_20161213_114445709.jpg

I see in mine where the drive spindle is adjustable but i have no idea about the clutch.
The schematic you posted of the gearbox is what i have. Ill have to see if i can find the serial number on it, i understand that it was stamped into the underside of the tail stock and somewhere between the ways near tail stock end, is this correct?

Last edited:
The serial number can be found on the ways, far right , top is the usual place and also on the tailstock data plate with the model number.
Want me to get a picture of this location also?

The manual I have also shows the countershaft with a clutch and a plain bearing countershaft that lacks a clutch. Maybe diagram will help you find the parts that are missing from your 100.

IMG_20161214_101142033_HDR.jpg

I just noticed that COMachinist started this thread, my apologies if this annoys him, Latinrascalrg1, here's some pics that may help. If you think one of them might help you and want the full sized pic. Just ask.

20161214_001 small.jpg

20161214_001a small.jpg

20161214_002.jpg

20161214_002a.jpg

20161214_003.jpg

Hello, I was interested to see the original post for this thread because I was about to post something similar about my own Clausing 100 mk. II. I got it about 10 years ago as a gift via a friend's neighbor's deceased uncle, and it came with just about every available Clausing accessory, unsorted in boxes, including many purpose-made attachments with handwritten instructions. I started using it without any planning or preparation, but lately I've been sorting through the boxes. Here's my first question -- does anyone have images (photo or diagram) of the official Clausing taper attachment for this Clausing model? I've got at least some parts of it but I don't know whether I've got all of it. All advice and information greatly appreciated.
Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA

I Too apologize to the threads OP, i only intended to meet a few people with similar interests and learn a few things about this lathe but it looks as if I took over!

34_40. Thank you very much for the pics. It looks as if you have the second version of my machine, it has the flat teardrop cast gearbox lever.

As I said earlier, if the data plate seems helpful and something you can work with, let me know if you want the original - it has more pixels / size.

Krash22 - you have a taper attachment??? Now pics will be required! They are so rare, I've never seen a complete one! Much less use one!

Back