Clausing 100 mk3 lathe

CH,

I recently acquired a German made 3-jaw chuck that has a clamp similar to the one you bought built into it. When I get time, I'll take and post a couple of photos. Like you, I bought it JIC.

Robert D.

This is from a post by "daveycrocket" on the <another> forum about using a shaft collar to help ensure a chuck will not spin loose upon reversing the spindle:

"At the time I mentioned that in a Horology course workshop we had 3 Schaublin 102 lathes . On all chucks, there was a steel split collar round the protruding collar on the backside of the chuck backplate . There was a socket head screw through the split which when tightened against the protruding collar on the backside of the backplate, locked the backplate securely on the spindle nose thread/register. Whilst it might not work on lesser wellfitting backplates /registers, on our Schaublins, the fit of backplate to threaded nose/register was so close that when that Socket headed screw was tightened, there was no way that backplate was going to screw off when the spindle was in reverse, nor even when the lathe was in forward and the footbrake stopped the spindle pretty dam quick. In 8 years in the workshop, I never once saw a chuck come off when it was not supposed to. ! If someone had just told me it worked and I had not experienced it myself I would have doubted that those thick projections on the backside of the backplate would crush enough to grip the spindle thread/register ."

collar.jpg

I'll be watching this thread with interest, I have a 100 Series Model 110 Mk3a with the heavier apron that ended up on the 200 and 6300 lathes. It's waiting patiently for me to restore it, but I haven't been able to get near my metalworking machines for 4 months. Sigh. Work sucks.

Hi
Lucky dog I wish I had an apron like that. That push/Pull power feed makes me nervous. I had it in to face the end of a shaft and when I pulled it out to stop it, it went just far enough forward to drive cairage toward the head stock. The tool was back of far enough so it didn't hit anything. When I stop it now I just back off the clutch also. Still getting used to it.
Happy Machining
CH

That push/Pull power feed makes me nervous. I had it in to face the end of a shaft and when I pulled it out to stop it, it went just far enough forward to drive cairage toward the head stock. The tool was back of far enough so it didn't hit anything. When I stop it now I just back off the clutch also. Still getting used to it.
CH

The push / pull as you're calling it is used to set direction only. It isn't intended to act as a clutch because as you just experienced, it can engage the cross feed or longitudinal feed.

Just to the right of that "button" there should be a small handwheel or lever. Not the half nut lever! That is the clutch and when you turn the handle counter clock wise the clutch is out or open. Turning it to the right or clockwise closes or engages the clutch. The clutch itself is a cone shaped device with a couple pins. I had a devil of a time getting mine to work reliably. It's in the book and I can share what Clausing sent me if you need it.

Hello My Name is Rick and im new to the site. I just recently became the new owner of a beautiful old Lathe. Its a Clausing 100 MK3 version 1 (100 mk3A) My new to me Lathe is missing a few items that im looking for some help with. First thing is my Name plate and Gear data plate are missing but if i could get a few nice quality pictures I have a Contact person that has the capability to "Reprint" these missing plates for me with the possibility of making them available to others that are also missing these plates.

The second thing i have a question about what i believe is called the Clutch lever. My machine came with an aftermarket 110v reversible motor in place of the original. So my clutch lever is missing leaving an empty home in the cover. What was the purpose of this lever? I think it has something to do with fine tuning the v-belt to help with slippage. Could someone either point me to the correct page that has this info if available or better yet if i could get some pictures of the inside of the cover where the clutch lever operates and what it does. And certainly not the last issue im sure but I'm having a problem either understanding how the powered compound is engaged or my machine needs adjustment. I can only engage the split nut when the powered crossfeed mechanism is in "neutral." If the system is engaged and the knob is either completely pushed in or completely pulled out i cannot close the split nut which is needed in order to drive the process! The star shaped "clutch" handle turns freely if the definition of "freely " means that pending which position, pushed in or pulled out, the knob is in, turning the star clutch handle would either move the entire carriage left or right if say pushed in (dont remember which did which, will need to recheck) or if pulled out then turning the star knob will either advance or withdrawal the crossfeed. These actions are only capable doing by hand because of my inability to engage the split nut when needed!
Any info you could add would be greatly appreciated add in trying to learn everything i can about this Lathe.
Thanks
Rick

Rick,

First, the fact that you cannot engage the half nuts when the longitudinal or cross feed is engaged is the way the thing is supposed to work. On the Clausing 100 (or Atlas/Clausing 4800), the half nuts are only used for threading. The longitudinal and cross feeds are driven by a hollow bevel gear or worm gear (depending upon which apron you have) that is driven by an internal key which rides in the long slot in the lead screw. If you could engage both at the same time, you would immediately break something.

I'm not familiar with the Clausing 100 or 4800 so can't answer your other question. There is a Clausing 100 and a 4800 manual in DOWNLOADS. I'm not sure that either one matches a MK 3 but have a look and let me know. The 100 manuals shows more than one QCGB and more than one apron. So maybe one of them does match. If you figure it out, let me know.

Wa5cab

Thank you so much for your reply. I was sent 2 different manuals since i posted my last post and both of them are actually very helpful with getting better aquainted with my new to me lathe. I will take a few days reading them over and will definitely post up more questions as i come to them.

As for the half nuts and crossfeed issue im happy to hear that what i described is how it should work only i haven't figured out the "working" aspet yet, lol, im sure i will figure it out now that i have the 2 manuals.

If someone has the clausing 100 mk3 version 1 that has an intact and readable gear box info plate i could really use a very good clear straight on picture of the plate. I have a contact that has the ability to print-engrave a copy. This Gentleman wishing to first try and make me a copy to see how they come out and if all should go good then he may be willing and able to make more for others that are in The same boat i am! So if you are able to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
I've got a Model 108. I think it should be the same as yours. Or, pretty close anyway.
If your interested still, I'll snap a photo or two for you.

IMG_2016120911173.jpg Yes i am absolutely interested although i think my machine is the 111. Here are a few pictures of my machine and maybe you guys with more experience and knowledge can tell me for sure which model it is.
Thanks
Rick IMG_2016120911173.jpg

Ok so i posted up the last 2 pictures shown (labeled pics 11 and 12) in the group that somehow got mixed in with pictures that were posted by other members shown below in yhe "Attached Files" link below.

IMG_2016120931868.jpg

Last edited:
They look a lot alike to me. I do see some differences in things like the handles.
Mine has the tray while yours doesn't. the legs look the same. Mine doesn't have the clutch up top either.
I am scheduled to work late tomorrow so it'll be more like Wednesday before I can get into the shop.

I'll snap some pics for you.

Back