Class isn't going so well

Sm412

Registered
Registered
So I'm two weeks into my Machining class and it's been frustrating to say the least. I understand maybe 20% of what's in my textbook and remember almost none of it. I find myself frequently confused and frustrated. The other people in my class are picking right up on it. It's almost like they've done it before, and I'm the only one having trouble. They've sort of picked up on the fact that I'm the dumb one and hover over me ready to correct my mistakes (which is both helpful and irritating). It isn't all bad though. I've almost got tool bit sharpening down and I did well on the drill press today.

I've paid for the class and I'm committed. I want to be a machinist. I guess I want to know, what can I do to help myself? My instructor is almost surely sick of me because I ask a million questions. I just feel overwhelmed and way out of my element.

Don't sweat it. As with everything else in life, the more you do something, the easier it gets. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Nobody comes into this world knowing how to do anything but cry, sleep, eat, and poo. And sometimes they even mess that up.

It's a learned skill, and it *will* click in your head. I'm of the firm belief that most anybody can learn anything. It just takes patience, practice, and mistakes.

But if you have two fingers, one eye, and a few brain cells, you can become a machinist. Admittedly, that would complicate things, but it's still possible. And very doable. If you have all your fingers, both eyes, and both halves of a brain, you're waaay ahead of the game. Just remember to wear safety glasses. Loosing an eye would be a definite inconvenience to say the least.

Stick with it, and feel free to ask questions. There are no "stupid" questions. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself. Even the most grizzled, crusty, master machinists on here were once baby-faced, soft-handed newbies who didn't know poo from shinola.

And for the record, I'm not a machinist. Not even an apprentice. I use my machine tools to turn big pieces of metal into lots of little pieces of metal. Sometimes a useful object is the happy side-effect.

Thank you. Yea I'm sticking with it. Just a little frustrated. When it comes to actually doing, I don't do too bad. Or at least I didn't today. I'll keep at it. Just venting a bit.

It's only the second week. Give it some time. I'm a machine shop instructor with two classes in their second week of instruction. I wouldn't expect you or any of my other students to understand much of what I tell them before they get a chance to run a mill, lathe or surface grinder for themselves. Lots of people only start to pick up the information in a hands on situation.
Good luck,
Bob

Any teacher worth his salt will actually welcome your questions because most students do not like asking them in case they appear to be seen as dumb by their cronies.
Stick in there and ask away if you are unsure of anything.

I'm not an instructor at a school, never was but I have apprenticed a few over my 40 + years as a machinist. Your situation is not uncommon as the gent before me said. Many time the book work did not click till an apprentice hit the floor running machines. There is no shame in not understanding something. Stay later in the class and ask your instructor why things are the way they are. If he is a good instructor he will thank you for asking and bring you up to speed. Hang in there it gets much better.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I know what you are goin through as far as classes/school because I have never taken any classes as I am sef taught. I can say that once I get frustrated with something I have to walk away and take a breakter or I go deeper into frustration and my emotions can get the better of me.

That said, there is a lot of information on the internet that can and often times does explain things better than some of the textbooks I hve seen.

One thing my wife tells me when I get frustrated with a project or something I am working on is that working through it and really dedicating yourself to figuring it out tends to be the things that you end up being better at later.

Just keep at it and don't get frustrated. I know it is easier said than done but it will be worth it in the long run. Your only two weeks in so give it some more time.

Good luck.

Good for Bob! It's not exactly like learning to ride a bike or drive a car. I assume you're a young man looking for an occupation. It'll take a while to get to the point of being comfortable in a shop, yours or theirs, so keep asking questions !
If the instructor doesn't answer them he might have to many students. Come on to "Hobby Machinist" and ask . You'll get more answer than you ever imagined and they'll be worth while. Sometimes it takes a while then you'll see some of those items that were confusing will come around. No one will ever know everything that's why you need to be willing to learn. I'm the perfect (almost) example. Everything is a learning experience including mistakes ! GOOD LUCK
dickr

There is no shame in not understanding something. Stay later in the class and ask your instructor why things are the way they are.

I think Bill has the right of it. If a student isn't "getting it" it is usually the way the instructor is presenting the information. A good instructor knows that not everyone learns the same way and he knows that he needs to teach everyone, not all except for one. If you make him aware that you're having some trouble he will do all he can to help. The one thing he cannot do is read your mind so you have to speak to him and tell him what is going on. It may surprise you to know how far a good instructor will go to help a student.

I see your in Vancouver just like me. I take it your going to Clark? I came out of that program in the early 90's and taught 2nd year advanced for one year there when Kim Morgan had a heart attack. And I took classes from Vern before he was killed. I'm still machining making helicopter parts these days.

As everyone says, stick with it. One day it will just "click" for you. I had students that had no place being there and really didn't care, and others that had the will and determination but no experience. Give m one guy that wants it over ten that don't. My advice is tell the instructor about your frustration. If he's any kind of instructor at all he will just smile and reassure you.

One day we will be reading about the Bridgeport mill in your garage at home :)

Back