Class isn't going so well

I see your in Vancouver just like me. I take it your going to Clark? I came out of that program in the early 90's and taught 2nd year advanced for one year there when Kim Morgan had a heart attack. And I took classes from Vern before he was killed. I'm still machining making helicopter parts these days.

As everyone says, stick with it. One day it will just "click" for you. I had students that had no place being there and really didn't care, and others that had the will and determination but no experience. Give m one guy that wants it over ten that don't. My advice is tell the instructor about your frustration. If he's any kind of instructor at all he will just smile and reassure you.

One day we will be reading about the Bridgeport mill in your garage at home :)

Yes! I am going to Clark. My instructor is a fellow named Bruce Wells and he has been good so far. One of my biggest concerns is the fact that I seem to be the only one having trouble. What is so wrong with me that I can't understand yet all of these other people can? Everyone seems to be able to answer the "self test" questions at the end of the chapter. I can't because I didn't understand most of the chapter to begin with.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies. I'm fighting the urge to up and quit.

I'm in school. First, you aint the only one having trouble. If you are, give it time. This is a broad trade and areas hard for one may be easy for another, but the tide may change.

I dont learn from reading. So I have to try harder. I read a paragraph 1 time, re read it as I highlight the key points, then re read the key points 2 more times. When we did GD&T or decimal fraction conversions, I made flash cards and walked around all day everyday going over and over them.

But the biggest tool in my tool bag is youtube. You can learn the principle of everything before it's ever taught. If you wait till the teacher starts talking about dividing heads, before you learn about them, you have no leg up. But if you know what it is, the theory of how it works, and a good idea what you need to be doing, your leaving only the fine points on the table to learn.

So if you have 15 steps and you can become youtube trained on 10 you only have 5 to learn in class.

Let me now what your working on I will try to find you some vids

I would recommend having a chat with the instructor privately and explain how overwhelmed you feel and tell him you dearly want to succeed but seem to be falling behind. Correct me if I have misread this. He may be able to give you extra help or extra shop time to finish your projects, or know of a mentor who could give you additional help. If none of that works, you could just continue with class, do what you can and plan on taking class over next semester.

I was in your shoes, I was the only paying student in class , all the others were federal funded retraining program students. I was treated like dirt, given the most difficult, old lathe to use. I quit, I shouldn't have, I should have stuck it out. I kept my paid for text books and bought a lathe and mill and figured it out on my own. It would have much easier to stick with class and certainly easier to get a job machining if I had graduated.

Maybe if you broke it down in to small tasks the job would seem less daunting. What is the first stumbling block that you are having?

Good Luck
michael

First off this is all great advice. It seems to me that you have to find out what the best way is for you to assimilate the information. If reading does not work try the YouTube rout. Don't stress in class bring a tape recorder and record the class. That way you won't have to try and remember everything right then. As everyone has said speak with the instructor and ask him for suggestions.

Ultimately, book rook learning is worth very little without practical hands on experience. In my carrier in construction I have had to deal with lots of people with construction degrees who never picked up a tool befor. Needless to say they were eaten alive buy the trades who ran them in circles. The only difference between a professional and an armature is how many times you have done something.

stick to it and don't forget to have fun.

You have received a lot of great advice and encouragement from the above forum members. You did not mention your age, previous experience in things mechanical, and your motivation to become a machinist. I mention this because you are comparing yourself to classmates who may have some sort of previous experience even if it is only through high school shop classes or having the benefit of previous mechanical experience. Does it seem that you are having difficulty retaining the written word or is it the instructors verbal teaching that you struggle with? Many people can read a chapter, have a basic understanding, and retain this. Other people struggle with the written word but once shown can understand what they were shown after some instruction. No harm in having a problem either way, you just have to figure out what works for you. I get the feeling like you are having to always be catching up which leads to falling further behind. Once you become frustrated or disillusioned your focus then becomes centered on your problems and learning becomes harder. Slow down, take a deep breath, and do some soul searching. What is your motivation? "How hard do you want it" is the question you need to ask your self and is your heart really in it? If you really have a sincere interest in the trade and a desire to become a machinist you have to go to school each day with a stronger desire than your classmates. Read on your own, make your own notes, (create a binder with all the useful information you come across that is necessary in this trade) watch the videos, and most importantly talk to your instructor and voice your concerns. You may find your frustrations are not as dire as you may feel. Get stuck with a problem or don't understand something, come here on the forum and ask. Lots of willing people here and a lot who have had the same problems at one time or another. There is no shame in starting the class again in another semester. Sometimes this actually gives you a little head start and prepares you for what the class requires. I wish you luck and don't give up.

Regards
Darrell

You have received a lot of great advice and encouragement from the above forum members. You did not mention your age, previous experience in things mechanical, and your motivation to become a machinist. I mention this because you are comparing yourself to classmates who may have some sort of previous experience even if it is only through high school shop classes or having the benefit of previous mechanical experience. Does it seem that you are having difficulty retaining the written word or is it the instructors verbal teaching that you struggle with? Many people can read a chapter, have a basic understanding, and retain this. Other people struggle with the written word but once shown can understand what they were shown after some instruction. No harm in having a problem either way, you just have to figure out what works for you. I get the feeling like you are having to always be catching up which leads to falling further behind. Once you become frustrated or disillusioned your focus then becomes centered on your problems and learning becomes harder. Slow down, take a deep breath, and do some soul searching. What is your motivation? "How hard do you want it" is the question you need to ask your self and is your heart really in it? If you really have a sincere interest in the trade and a desire to become a machinist you have to go to school each day with a stronger desire than your classmates. Read on your own, make your own notes, (create a binder with all the useful information you come across that is necessary in this trade) watch the videos, and most importantly talk to your instructor and voice your concerns. You may find your frustrations are not as dire as you may feel. Get stuck with a problem or don't understand something, come here on the forum and ask. Lots of willing people here and a lot who have had the same problems at one time or another. There is no shame in starting the class again in another semester. Sometimes this actually gives you a little head start and prepares you for what the class requires. I wish you luck and don't give up.

Regards
Darrell

I am 24 and I have almost no experience with tools. I once built planting beds for a garden. I've also operated machines in production warehouses, but not for long. My biggest problem is my failure to understand the language in the book. I don't know what it's telling me. This leads to me reading entire chapters without much idea as to what I read and showing up to class unprepared. I understand better when it is verbally explained, and I actually do okay out in the shop. If I sit back and watch someone do something, I can recreate it. I'm a monkey see, monkey do type learner. But I had this same problem when I took Human Biology. I was lost.

Something about me that's relevant yet not easy to say: I'm a quitter. I get frustrated with something, I let the stress consume me, and I quit. I've had probably 10 jobs in the last year and quit every single one of them. But I'm not quitting this time. At some point in my life I have to put my foot down. Why not now? What I'm doing now is trying to ease the stress by expressing myself to people who will (hopefully) understand. But I'm committed. It's do or die. I'll keep pushing forward until I succeed or fail. But I'm not quitting.

I'm interested in Machining because of the enjoyment I got out of working with machines in a production environment. I enjoyed working with my hands. I enjoyed making things. Why did I quit then, you may ask. Like I said, I got frustrated, and out the door i went.

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it a lot.

I am 24 and I have almost no experience with tools. I once built planting beds for a garden. I've also operated machines in production warehouses, but not for long. My biggest problem is my failure to understand the language in the book. I don't know what it's telling me. This leads to me reading entire chapters without much idea as to what I read and showing up to class unprepared. I understand better when it is verbally explained, and I actually do okay out in the shop. If I sit back and watch someone do something, I can recreate it. I'm a monkey see, monkey do type learner. But I had this same problem when I took Human Biology. I was lost.

Something about me that's relevant yet not easy to say: I'm a quitter. I get frustrated with something, I let the stress consume me, and I quit. I've had probably 10 jobs in the last year and quit every single one of them. But I'm not quitting this time. At some point in my life I have to put my foot down. Why not now? What I'm doing now is trying to ease the stress by expressing myself to people who will (hopefully) understand. But I'm committed. It's do or die. I'll keep pushing forward until I succeed or fail. But I'm not quitting.

I'm interested in Machining because of the enjoyment I got out of working with machines in a production environment. I enjoyed working with my hands. I enjoyed making things. Why did I quit then, you may ask. Like I said, I got frustrated, and out the door i went.

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it a lot.

The #1 thing is that you realize where you stand. One of the hardest things is to accept your "shortcomings" and then to actually say you are going to address them. Self motivation is key, but having a mentor or two to help along the way makes life better. Sounds like you have a few mentors here.

I am also a monkey see monkey do type, I have a difficult time reading something and then applying it. If I watch it once, I have it for a lifetime. Keep reading, I can't stress enough the importance of reading. In the long run the reading will make sense. As you become more experienced in the shop you will start to connect the dots of what you read. Don't stress over not getting it.

Learn patience.

Realize when you become frustrated that you need to back off and regroup. Doesn't mean walk out the door, just means you reached a point of no return and need to calm down and maybe seek some help or find another project to get your mind off the frustration. Another approach is to practice the task by going through the motions only and look at the entire process as you do it. Realize where you are going wrong and then practice that part slow and deliberate. Again, learn patience and be methodical. Machining is not a "get it done NOW' skill.

As you have seen and read, many on this board are here to help out. Keep up the good work and keep learning the skill. Stay motivated and keep coming back to this board as everyone here wants you to succeed.

I am no machinist I am a hobbyist , many hobbies in fact.

I am similar to yourself, I learn as I go and find hands - on the best approach for me.

As stated , you'll need to find your own learning curve.
I watch videos all the time even if they are way beyond my current interests. If I can not figure out a part of my project or even the terminology google or youtube is my go to. one question may lead me to 5 more and waayy off topic. but hey its learning..

There are some great tubers like mrpete222, Abomb79, Keith Fenner, James Killroy, Haligan142 ( on here ) plus alot I have not mentioned. I watch at least 5 - 10 videos a day , read most of the forums, and play in my shop for an hour or more on the weekends.

The funny part , I have not made many complicated project items.
I made a few items here and there mostly as needed parts. I have all kinds of text books that I have not opened yet. Thats why I call them reference manuals
I am actually learning more about measuring , tools and tooling set up by rebuilding and modifying my lathe. I will never stop learning,
Best advice I would offer . have fun at your pace, dont expect to learn as fast as others. forgotten knowledge is there in text books or the web when you need it.

Oh forgot to mention I also suck at math..

A true story, not machining but there may be a parallel.
I was a trade teacher for professional cookery some years ago.
I once had a student who had zero self esteem and was always putting himself down.
I came to the conclusion that he had been put down at school his whole life.
He always wanted to quit because he couldnt do it perfect everytime but I wouldnt let him and kept on encouraging and helping him and proving to him that he could do it.
I kept on because I felt no one had ever helped him before.
The course was 6 months duration and an apprenticeship had to be served afterwards.
He graduated in the top quarter.
At the graduation ceremony his mother hugged me and couldnt stop thanking me for making such a huge improvement in her sons confidence.
He went on to became head of catering in the halls of residence in our local university, not bad for someone who thought he couldnt do anything.
Stick in there, consult the teacher, dont worry about the others in the class.
Research youtube for demonstrations regarding the next days lessons as a bit of pre preparation.
Just as a matter of interest how many hours a day are spent on the machines?
Remember, dont give up its not a race.

Something I've found helpful over the years with written material is to never go past a word you don't understand. Once you do everything after that starts to become a blur. Read your text book at home and everytime you come across a word you don't understand, look it up, use it several times in a sentence until you truly have it. At first this will consume a good bit of time, but after a while you will find fewer and fewer words you don't understand and your comprehension level will go up dramatically. Hang in there. Mike

Back