Clapped out & Climb vs Convential Milling

The one thing it doesn't mention is why backlash is a huge problem for climb milling. When moving towards the workpiece you're are one limit of the backlash. If you're conventional milling, when the workpiece touches the cutter, the cutter pushes the machine back into the drivescrew and all that happens is that the resistance to advancing the cutter increases. If you're conventional milling, when the workpiece touches the cutter, the cutter pulls the machine forward against the drivescrew and it suddenly jumps forward by the amount of the backlash.

Climb milling isn't a problem if the mill is tight and only has a thou or two of backlash, or (in the CNC case) if you're using gentle entry techniques when approaching the workpiece (e.g. rolling into the piece from the side.). As long as you don't have that initial cutter-snapping jerk, there's no real difference in how the machine behaves.

The one thing it doesn't mention is why backlash is a huge problem for climb milling. When moving towards the workpiece you're are one limit of the backlash. If you're conventional milling, when the workpiece touches the cutter, the cutter pushes the machine back into the drivescrew and all that happens is that the resistance to advancing the cutter increases. If you're conventional milling, when the workpiece touches the cutter, the cutter pulls the machine forward against the drivescrew and it suddenly jumps forward by the amount of the backlash.

Climb milling isn't a problem if the mill is tight and only has a thou or two of backlash, or (in the CNC case) if you're using gentle entry techniques when approaching the workpiece (e.g. rolling into the piece from the side.). As long as you don't have that initial cutter-snapping jerk, there's no real difference in how the machine behaves.
One important tip I picked up was which side of the chip cutting begins, along with the heat generated or not generated in different materials and the benefits.

I still say don't do it except for very light finishing cut. I've seen new machines badly damaged from climb milling. If you take a heavy cut, even one or two thou' as you suggest can make all the difference and do a lot of damage. People who insist on climb milling are just showing their lack of understanding and a degree of laziness, some in fact many don't really know what it is until it's too late.

... People who insist on climb milling are just showing their lack of understanding and a degree of laziness, some in fact many don't really know what it is until it's too late.

I'm sorry, that that's a totally ridiculous statement. Climb milling has a known set of issues, but it certainly has its place in machining and the notion that it's going to make a machine somehow explode is nuts.

Yes, if you have a clapped out mill with 5-10 thous of backlash, climb milling is not going to work, but that's because the mill is fubar.

However, because climb milling takes the maximum chip thickness at the start of the cut and not the end, you can can take light cuts without skipping and rubbing, and it generally gives a much better finish.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Don't be sorry , be correct. you said it yourself "you can can take light cuts without skipping and rubbing, and it generally gives a much better finish." Light cuts is the operative phrase. 5 to 10 thous does not constitute a clapped out mill it's very common.

I have seen it too often, when people who think they know better, start taking increasingly heavy cuts while climb milling and all of a sudden the cutter grabs. And if a ruined workpiece and a bent spindle is all the damage, then they are lucky.

Just because you haven't been caught out doesn't make it right.

Remember this forum is here to educate there is no future in promoting misleading information.

Last edited:
Back