Clapped out & Climb vs Convential Milling

I ran down the the local tech today and asked questions.
The CNC guru stated he advocates climb milling on the super accurate CNC machines with ball screws.
Never on the manual machines unless during final passes after conventional milling.

Daryl
MN

A clapped out mill would mean a worn out mill good only for scrap. Its the contrary to clapped out jeans which are worth much more than when they were new.

If AvE was the one who said it, it must mean Fd up. he was just being unusually polite that day.

AvE isn't the only one that says clapped out, it's not a term from his own vocabulary (those who know what that means). Aside from machines, cars are often called clapped out. But really anything can be clapped out, even people.

For machinery, I often only hear Bridgeports clapped out. A lathe could very well be clapped out but I never hear anyone say it. They just say the lathe is worn.

But yeah, as Tozguy stated, clapped out to me means badly worn, as in scrap or not worth fixing.

The first time I found out why it's recommended not to climb mill on a manual mill, it scared the dingle bells out of me. I took a machining course at the local college with my little brother. They had 4 Bridgeports, every single one of them quickly reminded you not to climb mill not matter how tight you locked everything

On a new tight mill you can get away a lot more climb milling.

Shawn,

You are right, simply saying a machine is "clapped out" isn't specific enough.
It does mean worn and sloppy, but as you ask where is the slop?

Climb milling has the tool rotating in such a way that it tries to pull the work into the tool. If you have worn lead-screws/nuts and or dovetails the tool rotation can pull the work in. In the best case that can mean chatter and rough finish, in the worst case a broken tool from trying to take to deep of bite.

-brino
Also a broken or bent machine. I have seen horizontal spindle mills with the spindle bent from climb milling.

I was reading something someone posted about a clapped out Bridgeport.
What does that mean exactly?
Just worn out? Sloppy bearings? dovetails that won't tighten? Slop in mating/sliding serfaces? Etc.
Why would they have said that climb milling is NOT a good idea?
Just curious.
In my book clapped out means well beyond worn and sloppy usually implies badly abused.

Climb milling is not a good idea except for fine finishing cuts, it's the single biggest reason for machines being Clapped out. I have seen machines broken from climb milling.

But yeah, as Tozguy stated, clapped out to me means badly worn, as in scrap or not worth fixing.

The first time I found out why it's recommended not to climb mill on a manual mill, it scared the dingle bells out of me. I took a machining course at the local college with my little brother. They had 4 Bridgeports, every single one of them quickly reminded you not to climb mill not matter how tight you locked everything

On a new tight mill you can get away a lot more climb milling.
Perhaps, but it won't stay new and tight for long. If you have any respect for your machine you will not climb mill except only as a very light finishing cut.

Most guys here have hobby size mills which probably can't climb cut anyway except for light finishing. I've never even tried to take a moderate climb cut on my mill before, I wonder. ;)

This was more informative than I anticipated. Even beyond the clapped out explanations.

Thanks for asking the question. What I got out of this are details for two machining methods with one not recommended on a machine with worn lead screw or nut, although the recommended method may not be the best when backlash is eliminated or compensation has been made.

Perception changes with education, then the cycle begins again.

Back