Choosing right VFD or wiring for rotary converter?

Glad to report that the machine has ran for the first time in the shop. Right now it's just a mess of wires but now that it's running going to start writing it up in the enclosure.

In the video I feel like you can hear when the capacitor drops out and the machine is running in it's own. The capacitor is pretty hot though even when power is cut. I went the potential relay route and hopefully it's correct... Went ahead and ordered another start capacitor just in case.

the potential relay will make short life of the capacitor
the potential relay will cycle almost every time you experience a load condition
this could potentially mean that it could ask the start capacitor to be called to duty many times in an hour
this is not good for the start capacitor which may only be capable of a couple cycles per hour without overheating or otherwise reduce the life expectancy
this is why i used a momentary switch, the start capacitor only works upon start up and the capacitor lives many years

i used a static converter with a potential relay, that lead me to design my own method, because the method the commercially available unit used failed miserably due to the capacitor overheating

So, if this capacitor goes bad due to the potential relay then I can just bypass the relay and wire the normally open momentary switch to the capacitor... And just hit the switch long enough for motor to get started?

Actually, just keep the relay in but add a momentary switch on one leg of the capacitor...Will do this if I see anything funky going on ;)

Last edited:
Back