Choosing right VFD or wiring for rotary converter?

OK good now we can get somewhere- as far as the Baldor, no, you wire it just as the factory shows. For low voltage you are putting two "stars" in parallel, one already having the center point wired internally.
For the timer we will need to do a little experiment to see how it operates. You will need to gather a line cord, a switch and some type of 120 volt indicator like a desk lamp or fan- I'm presuming the timer runs on 120 volts ac right?
I'll draw up a little diagram on how to test it
-M
The start capacitor will need to be replaced- the voltage rating is too low for 240 volt service

Last edited:
Yeah, if we can avoid the timer that would be great. The guy said everything worked before he delivered it but I kind of question if it was really optimal or not

Totally up to you- it would be cool to use it but we can skip it if you want
Mike you're taking all the fun out of it dude LOL
Give me a few and I'll post a sketch of the whole system sans timer
Voila:
You don't really have to run the 3rd leg thru the main contactor but I'm a man who "hates to waste a chair" (Woody Harrelson)
anyway you could just use T2 as a tie point

Attachments

• RPC1ax1.jpeg
    RPC1ax1.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Totally up to you- it would be cool to use it but we can skip it if you want
Mike you're taking all the fun out of it dude LOL
Give me a few and I'll post a sketch of the whole system sans timer
Just let me know what capacitors I need. Should I include run compacitors to balance each phase? I only have the one 3 phase machine at the moment.

350 to 450Uf of capacitance is all that is required to start your idler quickly
Any more isn’t much better or necessary

I can see why the timer would be sort of redundant if it requires it's own start button. I thought it was a power-on time-out type that didn't require a start button
-M
For the start cap you need one with a higher voltage rating like 250 vac at least-
You can try it without balancing caps at first- chances are you won't need any- Baldor motors have good magnetics

Last edited:
Awesome, @markba633csi thanks for the schematic. Just ordered a new start capacitor BlueNatHxRPR 340-408 uF MFD Start Capacitor 50/60Hz Withstand Voltage 250V AC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QCS11H...abc_Y2A0SRT3JCY6FYD5ZAHC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I know run size capacitors really very on the setup but is their a general size I could get and just do them now, knowing they can be optional.

Also, would it make sense to swap out the small contactor with a potential relay... Would that avoid the need for an extra button. Like I could just return the main switch to provide power and then the cap could just drop it naturally?

Back