Choosing between a PM 1236 and a PM 1340GT

Nope, haven't heard a thing. Ray is supposed to check for me tomorrow.

Nope, haven't heard a thing. Ray is supposed to check for me tomorrow.

THX...

Left a message for Ray this evening.

Figured I would wait until we all went back to work after the holidays... before asking (bugging... :rofl: )

I think 4 or 5 of us at HM forum have a 1340GT on this order....

:panic: :ups:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

News Alert: Ray just emailed me to tell me "the 1340GTs should be arriving in PA on/about Jan 15."

Time to put the electrical in... :)

News Alert: Ray just emailed me to tell me "the 1340GTs should be arriving in PA on/about Jan 15."

Time to put the electrical in... :)

I guess this is the appropriate response:

:ups:

Timing seems about right for me... probably have it more or less by the end of the month.

THX for the heads up Bill!

John

I figure about a week for Matt to turn the lathes after inspecting them, then a couple weeks to get it to my house.

Once I hear it's on the way to me I'll do the bouncy UPS thingie. ;)

I'm just glad they made it here to the U.S. more or less on schedule. :allgood:

I figure about a week for Matt to turn the lathes after inspecting them, then a couple weeks to get it to my house.

Once I hear it's on the way to me I'll do the bouncy UPS thingie. ;)

I'm just glad they made it here to the U.S. more or less on schedule. :allgood:

Same here...

As I understand it... the part Matt has almost NO control over... is when they are manufactured and leave the factory over there.
I thought they may have shipped as soon as THXgiving... appears it may have been later.
Kinda like when they are CONFIRMED to be on the boat... is when we have 'some' idea as to when they get here.

I am assuming they are in customs on the west coast now??? That is a relief.
It is just a matter of time now.

The shipping of the crate my mill came in (UPS ground) was schedule for 4 days from PA to GA (Pittsburgh to Atlanta) back in October. I had them wait a few days to deliver, due to some HVAC work scheduled.

I suspect sometime in the week of the 26th... it may get here (to me).

Congrats guys (Prince breaks out in a 'Lets go Crazy' guitar solo as if on cue for this post)

Congrats guys, about time someone bought a new machine around here. (Prince breaks out in a 'Lets go Crazy' guitar solo as if on cue for this post)

Oh, we would have LOVED to have bought our 1340GT's a L O N G time ago... :rubbinghands:

Actually, the 1340 (or maybe a 14") and a larger mill were on my 'to buy' list when I relocated back to AZ in a few years. Then I got thinking about it and changed my mind and bought the Charter Oak 12Z which is the biggest mill I figure I want to deal with when I do move. Then after getting it in the garage I started thinking that adding the lathe 'probably' wouldn't be that big a deal, and I'd get to play on both for the next few years before the move. I came to the conclusion that the 1340GT was the biggest lathe I wanted to deal with size-wise.

I'm thinking I'll need to buy a decent pickup truck and either buy or rent a two-axle trailer to haul this stuff to AZ but I should be able to manage OK. I hope. The plan is to take the mill and lathe of their stands and strap them to something like an appliance dolly and push or block and tackle them up onto a low-floor trailer, strap them in and cover them.

I'll probably be asking you guys for suggestions about how to do some of this when the time comes. :))

Actually, the 1340 (or maybe a 14") and a larger mill were on my 'to buy' list when I relocated back to AZ in a few years. Then I got thinking about it and changed my mind and bought the Charter Oak 12Z which is the biggest mill I figure I want to deal with when I do move. Then after getting it in the garage I started thinking that adding the lathe 'probably' wouldn't be that big a deal, and I'd get to play on both for the next few years before the move. I came to the conclusion that the 1340GT was the biggest lathe I wanted to deal with size-wise.

I'm thinking I'll need to buy a decent pickup truck and either buy or rent a two-axle trailer to haul this stuff to AZ but I should be able to manage OK. I hope. The plan is to take the mill and lathe of their stands and strap them to something like an appliance dolly and push or block and tackle them up onto a low-floor trailer, strap them in and cover them.

I'll probably be asking you guys for suggestions about how to do some of this when the time comes. :))

Interesting you say this...

When I built the stand for the 935 mill... I had in mind possibly moving it someday.
And when the 1340GT comes in... it will go on a stand for the same reason.

And as usual... regardless of how well one thinks out something... they have one of those 'hind sight is 20/20' moments AFTER they are done with the project.

Here is the thought I had.... AFTER the mill stand was done: The stand needs to allow a pallet jack to slide under it. Yeah, so simple. Now I 'can' modify it to fit this requirement.... however that means taking the mill out of the stand, turning the stand over, and doing some cutting/welding. Not until the mill needs to be moved.

I am posting this, so other folks will have the idea I wish I had thought about earlier.

Back