Choosing between a PM 1236 and a PM 1340GT

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi to all and THX for all the wonderful reading! This is a very informative site, thx to all who have shared their experiences.

Back in the dark ages, I spent a summer in a machine shop during college years (early 1970's), caught on quickly to the basics. Went on to other things and worked in aviation for a year or so, then life got in the way... probably happened to many of us... :)
Life has allowed me to come back to the fun of flying and tinkering with EAB (Experimental, Amateur Built aircraft), and I find having the ability to make parts would help a bunch!
My screen name is based on owning, in the midst of rebuilding, and hopefully soon to fly a gyrocopter. If anyone is interested to learn more about gyrocopters, google 'Benson days Florida', one of the larger gyro gatherings. Watch some videos, they are fun machines to fly, and a sizable number of them are homebuilt. This is kinda like the barn-storming days of yester-year... complete with some of the most interesting folks you will ever meet... <grin>

Back on the subject of machine tools:
I started reading about machine tools in July, first looking at a Smithy Granite (thought the Industrial series with the 40" length would be the better idea, due to its better build quality). It did not take long to realize what most folks know... the lathe is not bad, the mill is not good.

Went to looking at separate machines, and found Precision Matthews machines. After about a month of reading, I have pretty well settled on a PM932PDF mill, however I am still going back and forth between a 1236 lathe and a 1340GT lathe. The Taiwanese quality just intrigues me... however I am not really a fan of the Norton gearbox style (like the knobs feed/thread gearbox controls more).

A couple of things I have learned, THX to all the wonderful folks sharing their thoughts and experiences here and a couple other forums (CNC zone is one of them):
*I plan to get 3PH motor machines and do the VFD myself
*The stands, while adequate, could be improved on... am thinking about some custom mods for the stands
*Am just starting to read up on tooling and measuring tools... this probably is gonna cost as much as the machines... :whistle:

The question I am asking with this thread: folks who have experience with one or the other (or both) of the lathe's, to share their thoughts on each machine (and compare them if they can).

I realize folks will ask me what I plan to use it for; so here is an overview:
Early on (first few years), probably the majority will be aluminum and mild to moderate steels: mostly 6160T6 AL and some mild to moderate steel; maybe some 4140CM and SS. I do some shooting, so some very basic gun-smithing, however that would probably be less than 10%, even down the road.
I do have friends that do lots of auto restoration, when I said I was thinking to set up a small shop in the basement, they asked if I could make parts for them. I suspect this will be mild to middle grade steels. I did stress up front there would have to be compensation for the work, they agreed. (Insert icon of 'relief' :) ).
Sooner or later, I am sure I will need to work with some SS... middle grades.

As to precision... well I am probably somewhere between a Noob and dangerous :thinking: or :nuts: LOL... My approach has always been to buy things which have a bit more capacity and quality than I need... both so I can grow into them and so I will not be dis-appointed later on with the limitations. This thought process is what brought me to the indecision between the 1236 and the 1340GT...

THX to all that post their thoughts... I hope to be in a place to make an order from Matt by the middle of Sept.

John/GA
(GA is a nickname I have on different online forums, based on my residence in the state of Georgia).

Reactions: t52
You're sure to get many comments and opinions on your lathe choices. Do a search for "zmotorsports" as Mike has recently taken delivery of a 1340 and has posted a quality write up along with a few videos of him opinions and impressions. There are also quite a few other folks who own the PM products that will chime in, I'm sure. RayC is a member here as well and has recently joined the PM staff so I'm sure he'll be able to offer plenty of insight as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Both of these machines are a terrific bargain and the most significant physical differences are the length of bed and automatic gear changes. The 1236 is made in China, has a 6" shorter bed and side gears must be changed manually. When switching between thread pitches you need to manually change gears. When setting-up outside of some IPR (Inch Per Revolution) settings, you may need to switch the side gears.

The 1340GT is made in Taiwan, has a 6" longer bed than a 1236 and all the change gears are set by shifting lever positions.

In general, Taiwanese workmanship is higher quality than Chinese. You'll find higher quality knobs and etched numbering on the 1340GT.

In terms of precision, I have a 1236 (now several years old with hundreds of hours of run-time) and I regularly hold half-thou tolerances with ease. I could do the same with the 1340GT.

FWIW, we have a really good deal on some 1440 E and ELB units right now... An outstanding price indeed. These are basically larger versions of the 1236.

PM me if you're interested.

In any event, you can't go wrong with either. I haven't had any serious problems with either of them.

Ray

Don't be concerned about the Norton gearbox. They are time tested over many decades of use on countless lathes. If your budget permits you won't be disappointed in choosing the PM1340GT.

Dave

You're sure to get many comments and opinions on your lathe choices. Do a search for "zmotorsports" as Mike has recently taken delivery of a 1340 and has posted a quality write up along with a few videos of him opinions and impressions. There are also quite a few other folks who own the PM products that will chime in, I'm sure. RayC is a member here as well and has recently joined the PM staff so I'm sure he'll be able to offer plenty of insight as well.

Welcome to the forum.

I believe I read his review (thread) and watched his video on the 1340GT... I remember the author of the thread I am thinking of; commenting how much they enjoyed the precise feel of the parts fit and the way the control wheels turned (with firm fit and no lag). Will do the search and see if I missed any threads.

I tend to be someone that appreciates this kind of quality... hence the draw towards the 1340GT... and the Taiwanese machines. Wish there was a RF45 clone from Tiawan in Matt's lineup... :) A knee mill just is too big for my space... :)

John, welcome to the forum. As to your comment about the Norton style gearbox not appealing to you, I was the other side of the equation. The Norton style gearbox was the second draw to the PM1340GT lathe for me, followed by the fact that it was manufactured in Taiwan which are a cut above in terms of overall quality, fit and finish.

I can attest that the PM1340GT is an excellent machine and you can see a written review of my 1340GT here and also towards the end is a link to my video review.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=24887

I will tell you that if you are thinking of this machine then you will want to contact either Matt at Quality Machine Tools or RayC here on the forum soon. These machines are not ordered in the same quantities as the Chinese 1236 machines and take a long time to get. I ordered mine in March and just barely received it August 6th.

I use the lathe, as well as the mill that I ordered from QMT, for my motorcycle business so delivery time was possibly more of an issue than the general hobbyist. Overall I am extremely happy with the machine but the time to delivery was very frustrating. I am only now scheduled to take delivery of my mill next week which was ordered at the same time. Originally I had ordered the same benchtop mill that you are looking at, the PM932PDF, but really wanted a smaller knee mill so quickly changed my order to the PM935TV which is a Taiwanese knee mill about 2/3 the size of the Bridgeport with a full-featured Bridgeport style head.

I do not have any on hand experience with the PM1236 as a Taiwan lathe was a main criteria in my search so I cannot give you any personal input on the PM1236 but as far as the PM1340GT, it is a high quality, extremely nice lathe.

Mike.

Both of these machines are a terrific bargain and the most significant physical differences are the length of bed and automatic gear changes. The 1236 is made in China, has a 6" shorter bed and side gears must be changed manually. When switching between thread pitches you need to manually change gears. When setting-up outside of some IPR (Inch Per Revolution) settings, you may need to switch the side gears.

The 1340GT is made in Taiwan, has a 6" longer bed than a 1236 and all the change gears are set by shifting lever positions.

In general, Taiwanese workmanship is higher quality than Chinese. You'll find higher quality knobs and etched numbering on the 1340GT.

In terms of precision, I have a 1236 (now several years old with hundreds of hours of run-time) and I regularly hold half-thou tolerances with ease. I could do the same with the 1340GT.

FWIW, we have a really good deal on some 1440 E and ELB units right now... An outstanding price indeed. These are basically larger versions of the 1236.

PM me if you're interested.

In any event, you can't go wrong with either. I haven't had any serious problems with either of them.

Ray

Will take you up on the PM.... I have tried to not Email Matt too much, and have not called him yet. I run a small business and know how much there is to do and how some customers just like to talk... :) May talk you out of your phone # if you have any time over the holiday weekend. THX!

I kinda did a quick perusal of the 1440's noted on the website, one of them is Taiwanese? There was not a price on the webpage though... usually that means pricy... :)

I believe I read his review (thread) and watched his video on the 1340GT... I remember the author of the thread I am thinking of; commenting how much they enjoyed the precise feel of the parts fit and the way the control wheels turned (with firm fit and no lag). Will do the search and see if I missed any threads.

I tend to be someone that appreciates this kind of quality... hence the draw towards the 1340GT... and the Taiwanese machines. Wish there was a RF45 clone from Tiawan in Matt's lineup... :) A knee mill just is too big for my space... :)

You are in luck, there IS a Taiwan RF45 clone offered by Matt @ Quality Machine Tools. I have attached a link to a thread where they are displayed. I don't think he has them on his website so you will have to contact Matt directly or RayC to get the details.

On a side note, I too came from a Smithy 3in1 machine and there is no comparison. I have a Taiwanese 1336 lathe from the late 80's and an Enco BP clone at work and the PM1340GT is hands down nicer than the lathe I use at work.

Mike.

Don't be concerned about the Norton gearbox. They are time tested over many decades of use on countless lathes. If your budget permits you won't be disappointed in choosing the PM1340GT.

Dave

The main thing about the Norton gearbox was the fact it leaks all over the pan... sadly, I tend to be a 'neat-freak' also... I guess if I get a 1340GT, I will make a small AL sheet metal pan to keep under the gears... and clean out regularly... :)

The fit and finish of the machines shows, even online.

Is there anyone close to the Metro Atlanta area that has PM machines? Specifically a PM45/932 or a 1236 or 1340? Would love to visit and see them... :)

You are in luck, there IS a Taiwan RF45 clone offered by Matt @ Quality Machine Tools. I have attached a link to a thread where they are displayed. I don't think he has them on his website so you will have to contact Matt directly or RayC to get the details.

On a side note, I too came from a Smithy 3in1 machine and there is no comparison. I have a Taiwanese 1336 lathe from the late 80's and an Enco BP clone at work and the PM1340GT is hands down nicer than the lathe I use at work.

Mike.

Did I miss that link... or is it in a different post or thread?

Having both the lathe and mill up to Taiwanese quality.... well that would be... well... (fill in the blank)... :)
What was that comment... 'Lusting over machine tools'... LOL

Oh, and there goes the budget... <grin>

Back