Chicago Dreis&Krump Box&Pan brake rebuild

Yes it has Greg and it will have an easy life by comparison in its new home. Can you imagine what it must have taken to snap those cast iron levers, Whoa!! freaking savage animals.

Paco

^^ x2 ^^ Can you imagine being the co-worker or supervisor of someone who broke those levers? Hazardous duty pay would be appropriate.

Just wondering about those missing counterweights. Have you asked D&K about the availability/cost of OEM replacements? Would you be comfortable adding fabricated counterweights and relying on those brazed repairs to survive? Another option would be to fabricate complete levers/counterweights from steel. Or, do you plan to do without the counterweights?. Just curious.

^^ x2 ^^ Can you imagine being the co-worker or supervisor of someone who broke those levers? Hazardous duty pay would be appropriate.

Just wondering about those missing counterweights. Have you asked D&K about the availability/cost of OEM replacements? Would you be comfortable adding fabricated counterweights and relying on those brazed repairs to survive? Another option would be to fabricate complete levers/counterweights from steel. Or, do you plan to do without the counterweights?. Just curious.

Hi extropic,
I had noticed this when I first began working on this machine prior to teardown. It takes more effort to open the top clamp without the counter weights but not as much as one would think. I could add some weight since the brazed bar is steel if I find it problematic. New levers would cost me more than I have into everything. D&K have stupid expensive prices.
As far as the brazed joints, although rough looking prior to feathering, It appears whom ever repaired them did bevel the hell out of the joint as they are plenty wide and should be fine to clamp/unclamp the heavy top clamp. Fabricating would be a feat for me but possible. I think I'll try them out once done to determine if I need new ones or add counter weight. I feel if the brake is not used as a vice, they should be fine. The clamping force is only enough to prevent the sheet from slipping when bending and if even clamping is achieved via link adjusters, then lite clamping is only required to prevent slippage. Its a feel that one gets used to. I have learned this from using the 8' apron brake over the past 15+ years. Too much pressure and your piece will be grooved at the clamp site especially on aluminum. Brakes require some learning to use properly, especially with bending allowances when trying to bend an exact fit. This machine will never exceed 14 ga steel ,10 ga in aluminum and 18ga in SS like it was designed to handle. I will use the iron worker for thick narrower bar stock. Something that was never practiced by previous users. I won't give them credit by referring them as "operators":oops:.
As always, your comments/observations are appreciated and welcomed. You have shared valuable insight on many fronts and for that I'm thankful.

Been raining for two days now and driving me nuts. At lest its a gentle rain and I turned off the lawn sprinklers.:cool 3:
Take care extropic

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends at Anderson Paint and powder coat had time to knock this out in a couple of hours. They have been my go to for all my RescuExpress carts since 2003 as well as bumpers builds etc. Mr Anderson is 93 years old and is a Iwo Jima survivor, I have a deepest respect for him. He now visits his large facility twice a week as he's really too old to put in a full day. His daughter Janet is the president and they employ 40 or so. They have done work for exotic telescopes in Chili, Missile components for Raytheon and many other DOD contracts. They always make time for me. Sorry, I felt the need to share a tiny bit of Mr. Anderson's extraordinary story.
First off, sorry to be so late replying. My better half and I have been super busy moving two large households into one (smaller) house (OK, it has a great shop!), and I've sadly neglected much of the forum.

That said, Paco, I appreciate your telling us about Mr. Anderson. Not may of those wonderful old folks left any more, and I have the utmost respect for them. Best to you, as well as to the Anderson family.

Meanwhile, congratulations on what's turning out to be a fantastic restoration. But then ... I think we've all come to expect this kind of quality and fine detail from you.

First off, sorry to be so late replying. My better half and I have been super busy moving two large households into one (smaller) house (OK, it has a great shop!), and I've sadly neglected much of the forum.

That said, Paco, I appreciate your telling us about Mr. Anderson. Not may of those wonderful old folks left any more, and I have the utmost respect for them. Best to you, as well as to the Anderson family.

Meanwhile, congratulations on what's turning out to be a fantastic restoration. But then ... I think we've all come to expect this kind of quality and fine detail from you.

Hi John,
Moving can be stressful if your rushed. Glad things are working out for you and congratulations on the shop upgrade.

Any time I think of guys like Mr. Anderson my heart feels heavy and eyes sweat (like now) but I'm so luck to have had the pleasure of meeting many veterans both on the job, caring for them in the back of medic rig and off the job hanging out. I once treated sailor that survived the horrific sinking of the USS Indianapolis. He described the shark attacks that followed. Later that same shift, I treated/attended a Tank crewmen that was in the Battle of the Bulge and met Patton. My younger partner at the time (not a veteran) realized why I pulled rank on him insisting I attend/treat and he drive us to the ER. I wanted the the opportunity to talk with these special men and thank them for what they endured for us. Years later at a different firehouse, I met and treated a strikingly handsome African-American senior with green eyes that turned out to be a Tuskegee airman stationed in Italy. I have met many veterans over the years but these four men including Mr Anderson really made an impact on me as an adult. My HS machine shop teacher (Mr. Bishop) was a tail gunner on a B-17 Flying Fortress over Europe. Besides my supportive family, Mr. Bishop (RIP) gets a lot of credit for shaping me into who I am. Oh, I can't forget Mr.White, my fifth grade teacher who was a hunchbacked man from shrapnel left in his back who had no difficulties whipping my ass often. I was a very bad student early on but I never disrespected my elders. It safe to say, in my case that vocational education and the men who taught saved my life leading me into a career paths that have been more than satisfying, challenging and rewarding. I am truly blessed to have had the honor and privilege of meeting these special humans. I often ponder, if I was born 10 to 15 years later, I would have been prescribed Ritalin vs good old fashioned discipline and mentorship. Who would I be? Probably dead long ago. I'm still hyper as hell but use the energy to be productive, hell my four German shedders can't keep up with me on long fast walks:p. Last but most important is my wife of 30 years and our son, they have helped me grow in ways I never could imagine.
Sorry, for the long reply,my heart is controlling my fingers again.

On the restoration, Thanks for the kind words John. I really try hard to do things right and learn every step of the way. At times I go too far, but thats me putting my signature on the work. I'm glad you follow along and appreciate you feedback.

Enjoy your weekend and carful with your back, just the notion of moving makes my back hurt;).

Paco

Hahaha, trust me man, I'm trying. With the wind blowing and now nursing some severely bruised ribs from a nasty fall last week. I start my six day break tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping to get some paint laid down. I broke the same ribs a few years ago at a fire and never took time off but this time around they seem to really hurt more. Yesterday, I pulled off the 8" 3-jaw chuck in hopes of turning the register on the new backplate, leaning over to pull that hunk of steel off about killed me in pain. I threw in the towel all day yesterday, getting too damn old for this game.
If the weather cooperates, you'll (We'll) get your fix:).

this getting old isn't for the faint of heart. Nursed a sore back all last week.

Greg

I hear ya Greg,
The harder we play the more we pay. Feel better.

Paco

I thought it might be an injury that was holding you up. Not too many other factors are likely to.

I plan to rig a light duty hoist over my lathe (only a 12" swing) to make those chuck changes 'no sweat'.
The trick is to include a spring loaded "link" between the hook and the load so, with less than 20lbs of manual force, I can manipulate and guide the load with precision. If my explanation isn't clear, imagine using an appropriately sized fish scale between the hook and the load.
With a lathe like yours, you might have a work piece heavy enough where a hoist would be nice, even necessary.

Heal well and quickly. The brake is not going anywhere.

Edit: wrong 'break'. :(

Last edited:
Back