Cheap digital calipers... and even cheaper versions

I am one who takes apart even new kit, including the Mitutoyos.
I do get it that a whole lot of effort making something like a kit reworked up to "good" is not what we really want - but that is only if the rework is significant, amounting to a real bummer disappointment to have to do, and knowing that in the end, the basic kit will never perform. In this case, the effort is minimal, and very well worth it. No amount of rework TLC will ever make the junky eBay calipers OK, but not so on those that can end up excellent. Mine took about 20 minutes each.

A new iGaging can be made great with very minimal work, and a small 3" x 3/4 slip-stone. You don't need a set of ultra-fine abrasives. You need only give a little attention to the edges you might touch, and exterior edges, taking care not to damage any measurement part. That said, if you have a known flat stone, you could rub away all day on a gauge block, or a caliper jaw, and not alter it's surface at all other than making it shinier. Clean it, adjust it right, use a very small amount of very light oil, and it achieves that satisfaction point. I think it was the demo by Robin Renzetti that convinced me you can take a stone to precious accurate surfaces, and not harm them. I used my 3/8" thick 8" x 3" diamond hone to flatten the stone.
I never had to touch my Igaging. It's smooth as silk. I would easily buy another. It's been very accurate. If I were a pro, I would consider the Mit.. but still own an Igaging due to the price. Mine's gotta be 12 or so years old.. It's had 2 batteries that I put in. So 3 in all. The last went in a few months ago.

IS IT fair to compare a CADILLAC to a Pinto.
The one cost 29CAD what does the Mitutoyo cost ?
I don't think you read all my post? I compared two identical-looking cheap Chinese calipers.

Last edited:
I have a set of Mit digitals, that I don't think I have ever used. I also have a pair of the plastic HF that stay on the bench, they were on sale for 9.95 or something. I had my hands full and stuck them in my overalls, and forgot to pay for them, I think I overpaid. I use them, but I almost always grab my other pair of dials unless I'm measuring a trailer ball or something rough. I like dials, but I may have to start using the mits soon.

I make so many mistakes with dial calipers. Give me a vernier or digitial and I'm 100% Give me a dial and I'm wrong 50% of the time. If I could solve it I would. I just seem to mess up on them too often.

I'm late to this discussion.. Sorry

When I was working (this'll date things) in the late 80's, I'd stop occasionally in Harbor Freight just to see what was cheap. If the digital calipers were cheap I'd buy one This went on for probably a year, over which time I bought 5, assuming they wouldn't last... I currently have four of them (lost one somewhere). I don't think I've replaced all the batteries, They are as accurate as I need, now, on wood, even more accurate than needed.

I bought them when the price dropped below $10.00 ea.

The first, a Dial Caliper (still in service) was earlier, probably in the $40 range.

I've never noticed any error in any of them.

Back