Cheap digital calipers... and even cheaper versions

I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

If you are willing to use analog the "Anytime Tools" brand 6" dial calipers are cheap at $42 delivered to your door from Amazon, and are a HUGE step up in quality from the cheapest sets you see at Horror Freight, etc. They feel smoother, heavier, better in the hand, etc.

Accurate? I checked them multiple times against a Mitutoyo 1" standard......dead nuts on 1" every time

Against a 123 block at 2 and 3"........they were 1/2 a thou off. Damn good enough.

Had a chance to use a iGaging height gauge. I don't like it. It's fair to say, it will measure but I hated using it.
I'm not afraid to use cheap hardware when the time/accuracy warrant it. But, I really don't like the iGaging height gauge.

You know this story already.....
I've been using a set of 'Daniu' 6" metal digital calipers for the past couple of years. I bought them from Banggood and with the shipping from China they were about $29CAD. They work OK, don't eat batteries and are comfortable in the hand.
https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-150m...-Zero-Buttons-p-1155851.html?cur_warehouse=CN
I have older and longer Mitutoyo digital calipers which are nicer, but the display is smaller. If they were shorter I might use them more, but they just sit on the shelf most of the time.

I decided to buy a second set of 'Daniu' calipers, but before I hit the 'buy' button I thought I'd look on Amazon to see if there was something 'the same' with a shorter delivery time. Sure enough, I found something that looked identical, at a cheaper price, too! :) And with quick 'free' delivery, since I pay monthly to Amazon for that.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08J2R5Q6B?th=1

The Amazon calipers arrived an hour ago. Two seconds after I picked them up, I knew they were different from the Daniu version. Sharp edges throughout - they felt and looked like Daniu's which had skipped the final machining and finishing steps. Also the display is different; even the screws on the battery compartment are a bit larger and cruder. It's hard to get pictures which show the difference.
View attachment 481026View attachment 481027View attachment 481028View attachment 481029

There's no particular 'moral to the story' - no surprise, you sometimes get what you pay for, there are serviceable tools available cheaply, and the cheaper Amazon calipers would be OK for something like a DIY indicator on a lathe (the reason I ordered them). But for a few dollars more, something which feels good in the hand can be a better value.
IS IT fair to compare a CADILLAC to a Pinto.
The one cost 29CAD what does the Mitutoyo cost ?

Had a chance to use a iGaging height gauge.
I have a 20 year old offshore digital height gauge, and a Mitutoyo digital height gauge. In the 0-10" range, they measure easily within a half thou. I have 2 mechanical height gauges (I cannot resist a bargoon) and they are a little less accurate. All of them will measure and mark within .001

There is one little test that is the giveaway on all the cheapo ones from eBay et al.
The one that feels good in the hand you will always gravitate toward. I use my newest (and most expensive) Mitutoyo caliper most of the time because it feels good in the hand. By rights I should use the igauging ones for everyday use, but the Mit feels so much better!

I have a 20 year old offshore digital height gauge, and a Mitutoyo digital height gauge. In the 0-10" range, they measure easily within a half thou.

The iGaging gauge was too stiff. Like you say, it doesn't feel right. It worked, but had to push way too hard on it to get it to move. Just a grindy/grabby feel to it.

The iGaging gauge was too stiff. Like you say, it doesn't feel right. It worked, but had to push way too hard on it to get it to move. Just a grindy/grabby feel to it.
I've reworked 3 height gauges over the years. The stiffness can be helped a lot by disassembling it and polishing all surfaces with a 10,000 grit stone, or using 4,000 grit emery paper. I don not recommend using steel wool for this, no matter how fine. the surface it leaves is too 'scratchy' somehow.

I got my 3,000/10,000 grit stone from Amazon, for about 10 bucks it is 1" wide by 3" long and 1/2 inch deep

I've reworked 3 height gauges over the years. The stiffness can be helped a lot by disassembling it and polishing all surfaces with a 10,000 grit stone, or using 4,000 grit emery paper. I don not recommend using steel wool for this, no matter how fine. the surface it leaves is too 'scratchy' somehow.

I got my 3,000/10,000 grit stone from Amazon, for about 10 bucks it is 1" wide by 3" long and 1/2 inch deep
The point is, that new these things aren't very good. Everything can be treated as a kit. But some things shouldn't have to be.

I have an 18" mit on the plate at home, so might be spoiled.

The point is, that new these things aren't very good. Everything can be treated as a kit. But some things shouldn't have to be.

I was trying to help - not everybody can afford to upgrade. I agree that people should buy the best they can afford.

Stoning all the glide ways is a great way to get a better feel - it is what is done for the Mitutoyo height gauge (blade type) The twin rod type uses linear bearing guide rails, which are cylindrically ground to a roundness of about .001...

My old friend bought a B&S height gauge back in '83 for around 1400$. Today's cheapo 200$ height gauges are far more accurate. But they feel worse. I've touched up several height gauges for friends, I really like the handwork, and they love the outcome.

I agree with you threre. Also, I can't argue too hard. I have a few sets of Chinese calipers.

My first 12" import calipers are still with me. The thing eats batteries so fast, I glued a AA battery pack on them. When that broke, I replaced it with a AAA pack this week! lol.

Still, for anyone starting to get into this hobby, I'd strongly recommend genuine Mitutoyo 6" calipers. They're not that expensive, going out for dinner and movies would just about cover the bill nowadays.

I am one who takes apart even new kit, including the Mitutoyos.
I do get it that a whole lot of effort making something like a kit reworked up to "good" is not what we really want - but that is only if the rework is significant, amounting to a real bummer disappointment to have to do, and knowing that in the end, the basic kit will never perform. In this case, the effort is minimal, and very well worth it. No amount of rework TLC will ever make the junky eBay calipers OK, but not so on those that can end up excellent. Mine took about 20 minutes each.

A new iGaging can be made great with very minimal work, and a small 3" x 3/4 slip-stone. You don't need a set of ultra-fine abrasives. You need only give a little attention to the edges you might touch, and exterior edges, taking care not to damage any measurement part. That said, if you have a known flat stone, you could rub away all day on a gauge block, or a caliper jaw, and not alter it's surface at all other than making it shinier. Clean it, adjust it right, use a very small amount of very light oil, and it achieves that satisfaction point. I think it was the demo by Robin Renzetti that convinced me you can take a stone to precious accurate surfaces, and not harm them. I used my 3/8" thick 8" x 3" diamond hone to flatten the stone.

Back