Chatty Clausing Lathe

GenericMonicker

Registered
Registered
So I bought a Clausing 5914 from the 70's, I think. As I put it together (was partially dissasimbled), I was so happy to find that everything was there. The break/clutch works, motor runs great, vfd was easy to set up (for 3ph motor) . Now its all together and its such a huge upgrade for me, first lathe was a enco 9x20 clone. Trouble Im having is chatter. I cant part steal, and any more than a light cut will send it screaming. Ive gone through alot of the basics I know and I think its the ways and saddle. I was able to fit a .012 shim under the front left clamp on saddle (dont know the proper name) The right side is slightly better, but after I removed the factory shims, it got tighter, but its notably loose under the chuck where you would exspect.
What Im asking, I guess, is : Does chatter come from this area often? Could it be elsewere ? Is there a way to isolate this so I can confirm the location?
Im looking for these answers on other theads here, but there is alot to go through. Thanks in advance.
---UPDATE--
It was the spindle taper , well that made a huge improvement so far. I made a spanner and cranked it down a few times. No effect at first, but as I cleaned the bearing cover and ran it back forth a few times to get things moving. I had to tap the spanner a few times to get accross the line but I can now make a nice heavy cut. The bearings make a little noise if I really push it but its so much better. Thanks for the help, guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
That chatter could be coming from many different places . What type of parting tool are you using and is it possibly above center ? I have a 5917 and don't have any issues using Iscar blades . Is everything locked down also ?

chatter comes from anywhere that is loose, or allows movement.
Tighten your gib up, even just for the one cut, lock the compound if you can.
check your head also, does the spindle have play. all lathes have the ability to adjust the play in the spindle.

That chatter could be coming from many different places . What type of parting tool are you using and is it possibly above center ? I have a 5917 and don't have any issues using Iscar blades . Is everything locked down also ?
Im only using the cheap thin blade that came with my barbie starter set from China so far, but I cant make normal cuts with a sharp 1/2" hss tool. Anything more than .010 cut gets real loud, and it also puts a big burr on my tool imeddiatly. The same cuts that are no problem on my little lathe, including parting, are a no go so far. My whole saddle is suspect, allthough I cant say where from, Ive tightened the gibs and such. Im hoping its something easy that im missing. If I pull up hard on the apron, I can hear it click after the clamp catches under the way at the rack there on the front.

Sounds like you have some investigating to do and something is loose or worn . Woodchucker is correct when he said chatter comes from movement , check everything out . I will add , get a good post and holders and a good parting tool set-up , that could be half the problem .

Another edit , just saw the pic of the lathe .................................................schweeeeeeeeeeeeeet ! :encourage:

In the pic , are you turning that shaft without the live center ??????

yea, I didn't see that pic last night... no support on the rod?

Also I see the real problem, I'll send you my SB9 and you send me that clausing. My SB9 does everything it needs to well...
I'll take care of the Clausing and make it work. Do we have a deal :grin:

Have you checked spindle movement?
End play and radial?

Sounds like you have some investigating to do and something is loose or worn . Woodchucker is correct when he said chatter comes from movement , check everything out . I will add , get a good post and holders and a good parting tool set-up , that could be half the problem .

Another edit , just saw the pic of the lathe .................................................schweeeeeeeeeeeeeet ! :encourage:

In the pic , are you turning that shaft without the live center ??????
Thanks!, I love it. Yeah, I only had a dead center at that point, I got a sleeve to mount the mt2 live center to my mt3 tailstock since. Unfortunately,
the drift hole is too far back to release the taper, but Ill make do.

All those things but one thing I've not seen mentioned, are you sure your tool is totally sharp and on center? That's where I'd start. If you don't have at least a jewelers loupe , or some high power visors, get something and look at the edge. Ala Joe Pie, can you shave little curls off your thumbnail with it easily, if not check your grind and hone.

Unfortunately, the drift hole is to far back to release the taper, but Ill make due.
Just weld a short rod to the back of the tool to contact the back side of the spindle. DSCF4839.JPG

Back