Change gears a PITA on 6" Craftsman lathe

3 minute video demonstrating changing from thread cutting to 0.0024" feed per revolution:

Craig

Is this the chart you are using?
yup, that's the chart I'm using.
This is what I put it back to after cutting the threads. The 48t is a combo with a 22t ot 20t behind it. I didn't change the gears above the ones I marked in the picture.
Other gears I have are: 32, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 52, 54, and 56.IMG_6655.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know what feed rate it's set to there, according to the chart?

That gear setup doesn't appear on the chart, from what I see. Gear stud position C with 20B and 64F only appears with feed rate .0048". The rest of your setup is off for that feed rate.

Make sure you completely understand this section of the chart.

Attachments

• Atlas 618 Lathe-Threading Chart (2).jpg
    Atlas 618 Lathe-Threading Chart (2).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 15
You have to know what feed rate you want, before anything else.
When you decide what feed rate you want, find which figure number (1 thru 6) on the left side of the chart goes with that rate. You have to follow the chart precisely.

Last edited:
That gear setup doesn't appear on the chart, from what I see. Gear stud position C with 20B and 64F only appears with feed rate .0048". The rest of your setup is off for that feed rate.
I think it's FIG 6 in the threading chart. The 48t gear has a 24t gear on the back. But, that's what puzzles me. The only way I could make it work was to reverse that gear so the 64t runs on the 48t.
Nuts. I'm going to pull them and try again.

You have to decide what feed rate you want first. You can't just put gears on how they fit, have to follow the chart.

What feed rate or TPI do you want?

Trying to get a .0039 feed rate.

Wait a minute. This is what has me confused. In the chart, fig. 5, it shows a 64t gear in the front position, with the spacer in the back. I get that. But then, it says to put a 64-32 gear combination in position C.
I have a 64 tooth gear with a 20 tooth gear attached to it, but no single 64t gear that I can put ibehind a 32 tooth gear. So how could I ever get a .0039 feed like it shows in the chart?
Am I missing a single 64t gear?

Back