Central Machinery Mill Drill specs? Worth $2k?

Sparkynutz

Registered
Registered
I was looking at a Clausing 8520 but looks to be sold. The next closest thing I've found near home is this central machinery milling drill machine which didn't come up much from searching except the newer mini version.
Does anyone know anything about these larger older versions and is it really worth $2k when the Clausing 8520 was $1500 with power feed and a vice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-102357_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-102357_Facebook.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20220415-102408_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-102408_Facebook.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 56
This is a type often referred to as a round column mill or Rong Fu RF31 clone.

Advantage you get a pretty solid mill in a fairly small package, disadvantage is the round column requires more work to maintain accuracy than a square column / dovetail style of mill.

Unless it comes with a ton of tooling, $2000 seems high to me, Grizzly sells a similar mill for $2300 new.

Well ,for reference, although I'm in a different area , I was looking10 times a day for about 4 months and did find a really nice RF31 clone, made in Taiwan, 1996 with Variable speed control (mechanical, no step pulleys) on the front , power feed on X, 3-phase 1 1/2 motor with the phase converter , 6" vise on a swivel base,collets and a super healthy steel table under it for $500 ;) They are out there, you just have to hang in there. Unfortunately, I have to leave it work ,all covered up till , I cut a path for it my garage...that's another story for later!

Of course it depends on a lot of factors but when that mill was new they were $8-1,200 depending on if you had a discount coupon. While it is a clone of a RF30 it is not the same quality. So I’m with Mr.W, $800 if hard up, no space, or if the seller has a bunch of tooling to throw in but $2k is delusional. Mine is a real RF30 and was well used with a HD table, vise and collet set for $425. If you have a HF store they have a knee mill that is somewhat like 8520 for $2500 new.

Location, location, location, but that is still wayyyyy overpriced ..
For 2k you can get a full blown machine.
I would not pull the trigger for more than 500..

As everyone else has said, that would be a solid NO. There are a lot of sellers putting crazy prices on items that are not worth even close to what they are asking. Their reasoning is that "You can't find new items, so therefore I am going to charge an insane amount." I would suggest waiting and keeping your search going.

Back