Carbide Inserts/ Enco

dlane

Active User
Registered
im still boggled with inserts but I need some for a face mill I have ,and some spares
They are 1/2" square 1/8" thick no hole , want some for aluminum/ cast , and some for steel .
Could someone give me good pt#s to order so I can get them on sale ?. Last ones I got were to thick and ceramic ,
Here is the face mill on left, I would like to get good ones , what would you use in it for finish / hogging ?.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Appreciate the help,

I looked at this a little, and I'm not sure Enco sells inserts designed for that type of face mill. It looks like all the inserts they sell, that "might" fit your face mill are designed for modern 45 degree face mills.

Looks like a typical SPG insert

S , square
P, positive rake
G, ground
4 , inscribed circle in 1/8 th's
2 , thickness in 1/16 th's
#, nose radius in 1/64 th's

Followed by some numbers and letters denoting the material that the insert is designed for and any molded chip breaker or hole. If it is a very old tool the OEM may have used a proprietary seat angle. If you find an insert that fits that has a hole you can still use it as the hole will not effect your application. The holes are normally used with small positive rake inserts without a clamp or larger negative rake inserts with a clamp.
Like so, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Fighter1/CNMG-1.jpg

Thanks wrek,so I should order spg422 1 is that for steel , aluminum ,Tired of buying the wrong ones , don't have time left to get a Ph.D. On insert identification,

You can't just buy the SPG, because it might not be right.

The P in SPG does not mean positive, though usually they are. P is the letter that designates an 11 degree relief angle. Face mills are designed for a specific angle insert to be used in them. If you don't pick the right one, you could damage the insert, because it doesn't seat correctly. You could also get a horrible finish because the insert is rubbing because it doesn't have enough clearance.

here are the other possibilities.
relief.png

The G in SPG does not mean ground, it's the letter that designates a given tolerance. H & K are even tighter tolerances, and are what most of the 45 degree face mills calls for. If you are going to use a given mill for rouging, you can get away with say an M, and usually pay less. Here are the other designations.

tol.png

If you find an insert that fits that has a hole you can still use it as the hole will not effect your application. The holes are normally used with small positive rake inserts without a clamp or larger negative rake inserts with a clamp.
You need to be careful doing this, A lot of the alluminum specific inserts, have cutting edges higher than the center, and if you clamp down on them like you would for a hole less insert, you will damage the cutting edge.

Thanks wrek,so I should order spg422 1 is that for steel , aluminum ,Tired of buying the wrong ones , don't have time left to get a Ph.D. On insert identification,
you need to read the rest of the manufactures naming convention. all "spg422" tells you is the size and shape of the insert, it doesn't tell you anything about the chipbreaker (if the insert has one), the formulation of the carbide, or the formulation of the coatings (if the insert has any).

inscribed circle? - It is square
The angle looks close to 77*

image.jpeg
Time is running out, I might have one good side left, then I guess I'll be facing with endmill

inscribed circle? - It is square
The angle looks close to 77*

inscribed circle is how inserts are sized
in the ansi nomenclature, that's what the first 4 means.
111116.jpg

if you are seeing 7.7 that's most likely 7, so you need a C Clarence angle insert, give me 30 minutes and I'll look and see what Enco has.

111116.jpg

111116.jpg

111116.jpg

111116.jpg

111116.jpg

as i kind of suspected, enco doesn't carry any SC** inserts, as they aren't really used by industry anymore, and even when they where, they worn't that common. If memory serves SEEN was the most common.

Do you have any info on the face-mill, like a make or model that we can look up?

No marking except 1-2-3-4 where the inserts go. Can you give me letters # s of what would work ?
Mabey eBay has some , last time I tried I got ceramic 1/4" ones , this face mill worked real good ied hate to have to buy a new one , with my luck theyed quit making inserts for it after I bought it.

Back