Can this chuck be improved?

Hi guys . First of all a sincere thanks for the help! Prussian Blue is a scarce commodity in this area, will check the local machine shop Monday. As usual I got the wrong info in my blog.. After reading the above posts I went out to the shop and took photos but during this my phone screen went dark so I have more problems. I did see one of the current photos on the computer when starting to down load the phone pictures, hope I can find it again. Re-examining the back of the chuck I noticed I was looking at the back end of the through bore and not the taper on the chuck that matches the spindle taper. The chuck taper leaves a mark on the spindle taper about 1/2 way up the spindle taper, this was verified with a dial caliper (rough measuring). The face on the rear of the chuck is about 0.125" higher than the rest of the back.
Going with what mikey has said about the spindle face plate and back of the chuck (this part is bolted on) I believe the chuck taper needs to be slightly larger to get rid of the 0.006" gap at one of the camlock fasteners. However I will rotate the 9/16" pins first. Getting my cross slide set at 7 degrees 7 minutes and 30 seconds is going to take some doing I think I see a sine bar in my future. At this time however, it is dishes and laundry.

Last edited:
Hi guys . First of all a sincere thanks for the help! Prussian Blue is a scarce commodity in this area, will check the local machine shop Monday. As usual I got the wrong info in my blog.. After reading the above posts I went out to the shop and took photos but during this my phone screen went dark so I have more problems. I did see one of the current photos on the computer when starting to down load the phone pictures, hope I can find it again. Re-examining the back of the chuck I noticed I was looking at the back end of the through bore and not the taper on the chuck that matches the spindle taper. The chuck taper leaves a mark on the spindle taper about 1/2 way up the spindle taper, this was verified with a dial caliper (rough measuring). The face on the rear of the chuck is about 0.125" higher than the rest of the back.
Going with what mikey has said about the spindle face plate and back of the chuck (this part is bolted on) I believe the chuck taper needs to be slightly larger to get rid of the 0.006" gap at one of the camlock fasteners. However I will rotate the 9/16" pins first. Getting my cross slide set at 7 degrees 7 minutes and 30 seconds is going to take some doing I think I see a sine bar in my future. At this time however, it is dishes and laundry.

Ray, after the laundry and dishes, try to sort out where the problem is. Whatever you do, don't alter anything until you figure this out. It may be that you just need to get a better chuck!

Posts #13 & #16 were merged here from the other thread which no longer exists.

Back