Can I Use a Router Speed Control on this Moter (Please see photos)?

If you are using a permanent magnet dc motor, a good way to lower the speed is with a step down transformer. This has the advantage of maintaining current, and therefore torque. Be careful not to demag the motor field with too much current.
Eric, thanks. On (I think) PM several months back they had suggested a used treadmill motor, which looks like a good way to go.

So that would be called a "DC step-down transformer," or something like that?

Thanks very much, Eric.

IGTY

A couple questions: A) Could you run two of these speed control units in series, thereby lowering the rpm even more?
Nope, sorry.

2) RPM: Is there an easy, inexpensive way for me to get a reading on how low the rpm is going on this unit? Excuse my ignorance.

Yep, many options:
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-photo-sensor-tachometer-66632.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Phot...250915?hash=item5d8f3012a3:g:T18AAOSwx0hdLh-X
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contac...709995?hash=item1f00efed2b:g:13oAAOSwWy1dcIc~
...and you'll likely find a lot of use for it.

On (I think) PM several months back they had suggested a used treadmill motor, which looks like a good way to go.
A tread mill motor is a great option for wide speed control range.
However, it is likely much more bulky.

I have picked up several treadmills for free (well.. for hauling them out of basements.... but I typically take them apart to make it easy).
But, you may need to do some work to replace the big push-button treadmill interface with a simple switch and potentiometer.

-brino

Nope, sorry.

Yep, many options:
https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-photo-sensor-tachometer-66632.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Phot...250915?hash=item5d8f3012a3:g:T18AAOSwx0hdLh-X
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contac...709995?hash=item1f00efed2b:g:13oAAOSwWy1dcIc~
...and you'll likely find a lot of use for it.

A tread mill motor is a great option for wide speed control range.
However, it is likely much more bulky.

I have picked up several treadmills for free (well.. for hauling them out of basements.... but I typically take them apart to make it easy).
But, you may need to do some work to replace the big push-button treadmill interface with a simple switch and potentiometer.

-brino
Brino, thanks very much for all the info.

I'm in Los Angeles, probably the treadmill capital of the world, so I'll work on hunting down a treadmill repair shop.

One other thing I was wondering, though. Harbor Freight makes some pretty cheap stuff. Is it possible a higher-quality router speed controller would bring down that RPM more? It looks like a pretty simple device.

Thanks So Much.

Here is an easy to use and inexpensive non contact digital tachometer. Less than $10 including shipping, your choice of vendors. They work quite well. I am really happy with mine. The link should post "least expensive, including freight, first."

LOL, a permanent magnet motor:oops2:. Okay, instead of slowing the motor down, how about using pulleys or gears? Not only would your output be slower but you'd have more torque. Just a thought.

Here is an easy to use and inexpensive non contact digital tachometer. Less than $10 including shipping, your choice of vendors. They work quite well. I am really happy with mine. The link should post "least expensive, including freight, first."
Bob, thanks. Looks like a winner.

LOL, a permanent magnet motor:oops2:. Okay, instead of slowing the motor down, how about using pulleys or gears? Not only would your output be slower but you'd have more torque. Just a thought.
Silence, might be a possibility down the road. I'm a quick learner, but I don't know the pulley thing, so it would require a lot of experimentation. What I like about this potential juicer solution is that the whole unit is encased in the original juicer body, waterproofed, and perfectly set up for what I need to do. But 8000 rpm would cut it.

thanks,
igty

2 pulleys and a belt.

FWIW, I have a DIY tool post grinder that I run with an HFT Router motor in combination with their Router Speed Controller. The controller will take the motor from 22,500 RPM to a minimum of 8,000 RPM at the lowest controller setting. That works fine for internal grinding using mounted points and small wheels.

But in order to get the RPM down for external grinding, I made a couple of pulley combinations to get the RPM to the 2,000 to 4,000 range. RPM is directly proportional the pulley circumference, and therefore to pulley diameter.

No offense, but I really think you should reassess the viability of this project. Given the parameters, especially of wanting to use the existing juicer housing, really limits your options for speed control to electronic means only.

As others have pointed pointed out, reducing the speed of this motor will also greatly reduce the torque and make the motor run hotter. The fan also running slower will exacerbate this. Even routers reduced to 6000 rpm run much hotter than they do at full rpm. Read the instructions for most variable speed drills and they tell you if running at reduced rpm's for extended periods to periodically run the drill unloaded at full speed to let the fan cool it down.

The juicer was also designed for very intermittent duty, like 30 seconds per day. If I understand your intended use, it is for a production application where it will be running more than that 30 seconds per day. I understand and greatly subscribe to the d.i.y. aspect of projects, but unless you are using components suitable for your application it will be a frustrating endeavor.

No offense, but I really think you should reassess the viability of this project. Given the parameters, especially of wanting to use the existing juicer housing, really limits your options for speed control to electronic means only.

As others have pointed pointed out, reducing the speed of this motor will also greatly reduce the torque and make the motor run hotter. The fan also running slower will exacerbate this. Even routers reduced to 6000 rpm run much hotter than they do at full rpm. Read the instructions for most variable speed drills and they tell you if running at reduced rpm's for extended periods to periodically run the drill unloaded at full speed to let the fan cool it down.

The juicer was also designed for very intermittent duty, like 30 seconds per day. If I understand your intended use, it is for a production application where it will be running more than that 30 seconds per day. I understand and greatly subscribe to the d.i.y. aspect of projects, but unless you are using components suitable for your application it will be a frustrating endeavor.
Good point. I'm not opposed to abandoning this.

Question: Is it conceivable to run a standard electric router? And if so, is there an easy way to rig the pulley system to achieve the desired range of RPM from about 1000-3000? If so, is it best to run it with the unit to also lower the RPM, or return the thing to HF and go with the straight router and pulleys.

I assume, like a bicycle, I'll want to run at least two pulleys. I can talk about size later, but where's a good place to buy the pulleys?

Thanks for your advice.

Appreciate any further insights.

best,
IGTY

Back