Can anyone tell me what this is?

overconfidentandunderskilled

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

Restoring an old Victoria U2 Milling machine... I only have a basic grasp of 3 phase so was hoping someone can help identify the component in the picture?

It's wired directly between the coolant pump switch and the pump itself. 3 phases in and 3 phases out to the coolant pump plus two wires to the contactor?

It seems to have some kind of trip/overload spring system on it? Its not on the machine wiring diagram so not sure of its function.

Also, is anyone knows what the function of the dial is on the contactor i would be keen to be educated!2023-07-04 07.34.58.JPG

Over in the US that would have been called a nema manually operated contactor.
It has a thermal overload, adjustable. on the right side is the dial.
Without a picture of the front to see the push buttons or of the schematic , I can't tell you more.
Thermal overloads on the drawings typically look like two question marks horizontal and the overload section probably opens one side of the contactor coil so it would be shown as a n.c
Contact in the coil wiring.

It almost looks like a type of fuse holder/circuit breaker, but I don't recognize it.

Hi All,

Restoring an old Victoria U2 Milling machine... I only have a basic grasp of 3 phase so was hoping someone can help identify the component in the picture?

It's wired directly between the coolant pump switch and the pump itself. 3 phases in and 3 phases out to the coolant pump plus two wires to the contactor?

It seems to have some kind of trip/overload spring system on it? Its not on the machine wiring diagram so not sure of its function.

Also, is anyone knows what the function of the dial is on the contactor i would be keen to be educated!View attachment 453246
I think that is the reversing switch

Items within the dashed boxes are considered to be mounted on the same component. The overload can be seen on the right side of the contactor in the schematic, it has a heavier dashed line showing all four of those contacts are manually operated by the overload.

I think that is the reversing switch
The coolant pump is a one way only setup by design. The only reversing is on the main motor and that is handled by the direction selecting switch. the top right of the picture show the back of the two switched, the left is a rotational on/off/on/off for the coolant, it takes 3 lines in and originally send direct to the motor. The arrowed bit has been added later.

Items within the dashed boxes are considered to be mounted on the same component. The overload can be seen on the right side of the contactor in the schematic, it has a heavier dashed line showing all four of those contacts are manually operated by the overload.
Forgive my ignorance, in layman's terms... it adjusts the overload level? ie sensitivity to overload?

Back