Can a lathe really build itself?

Just listen to the first minute. Sounds like a good myth for a mythbuster to bust.

Google Gingery lathe.

or go to the link below.
http://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-gingery-style-lathe

David Gingery has done some amazing things with almost nothing.
He has a book that details how to build a working metal lathe from scratch. with NOT Machine tools.
Only basic wood working tools to create a working metal lathe.
With that simple machine much more accurate and advanced models can be created.

Remember the lathe they built in a POW camp back in WW2? Made on a lathe and a lot of hand tools:
http://machineshop.olin.edu/resources/documents/Prison Camp Lathe.pdf

Wow, that is very interesting reading. The size makes it quite similar to many of the current hobby lathes, I wonder if it was an influence on any of them.

Just listen to the first minute. Sounds like a good myth for a mythbuster to bust.

Amusingly that is actually the video that prompted me to ask the question. That Tested series covers some interesting projects.

Try that with your hammer. Although, I bet you could make a hammer with a hammer...so maybe a lathes not so special after all. I’m keeping mine though.
I have made several hammers using a hammer. A punch is needed to punch the eye of the hammer but I made the punch using a hammer. A knife or other cutting tool would be needed for making the hammer handle but that can be made with a hammer as well. You need a forge to heat the metal to a working temperature and the harden and temper. In a bind, a workable charcoal forge could be made using stacked rocks and/or dried mud with someone to fan the flames to raise the temperature high enough. An anvil of some sort would be helpful
If you were starting over from nothing and were looking for the one tool that would bootstrap you back to some semblance of order, it would probably be the hammer.

@ RJSakowski : I’ve made a brake drum forge, and have a fairly minimal setup for smithing myself. That’s kinda why I offered the bet. I only bet on sure things. Please see my previous posts regarding my moderately successful jokes. :)

Struggling with a coal fire in a tiny homemade forge and spending hours beating metal into rudimentary shapes is actually what brought me to machining. I judged that hobby as “too much like work” to learn any more than you can learn out of 50lbs. of coal. Although, one of my fondest memories is running my little forge, while both kids did the hammering between heats. I’ll keep the hook we made as long as I live.

I've made one Gingery lathe from scratch. The only power tool used was a drill press but a hand drill could have sufficed.
I made it with and for a friend who used it rather extensively.
It does work but has pretty severe limitations as to doc etc.
Definitely not a precision machine from todays standards BUT, it does work and turn stuff to size.
Reading the Gingery book will show you how to make simple jigs to make other parts for it.
Very clever in my humble opinion.

I suspect the Gingery lathe could be used to make a second more precise lathe and the second one used to make a third and on and on. That’s how tools evolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember the only limitations are in the one doing the building . The machinist can do anything given the time and supplies . The old LATHES were made to do line boring and so much more. Now there purpose built and yes I'm quite sure if you really had the materials it's possible to do . Like the gingery tools. Many years ago a man with hand tools built a beautiful working shaper from scraps ,, if I remember correct ,, from working in the ship yards. It was and is if you can find the story and pictures a beautiful showing of workmanship. YUPP my opinion and I'm sticking too it.

Back