Can a lathe really build itself?

I tried to be funny with my response. Perhaps the old movie "The Jerk" is forgotten by now??? But, yeah, why not entertain the possibilities? I thought that was the jest of the question &, just as many of the responders before me, pictured viable solutions. It's kinda like the question, "What would you do alone on a deserted island"? Identify resources is job 1 in all situations is it not? But to get to the root of "The Potential of the Machine": It is extremely limited to the imagination & determination of the operator.

Ok fine. A lathe also doesn’t make cast iron. So you’ll need patterns, and casting sand, and a really big fire....flasks, chains hoists...and all manner of other equipment and expertise just to have the unmachined parts to begin with. Of which I’m fairly clueless, as anyone with actual knowledge would know from just what I’ve said so far. But a lathe, with excellent operator at the handwheels could definitely make a serviceable version of just about any single component of which it is comprised.

How does one machine the ways of the lathe on a lathe?
How does one machine the saddle of the lathe on a lathe?
How does one machine the cross slide of the lathe on a lathe?

I am somebody, I'm in the phone book.

"Billy G"

How does one machine the ways of the lathe on a lathe?
How does one machine the saddle of the lathe on a lathe?
How does one machine the cross slide of the lathe on a lathe?

Are you seriously asking me? I said it could make a “serviceable version of JUST ABOUT any single component”. I didn’t say every component.

Anyhow, you’re asking the wrong guy. I’m as green as fresh pasture. Sometimes, if I’m very lucky, I make a tee nut without screwing it up. I’m only on this forum to learn, and sometimes I make moderately successful jokes, and Tee nuts... Also only moderately successful.

Where’s that guy that keeps trying to bring us to our senses on this topic at? I’m drowning here.

OK, everyone step back from your computers. Let's bring this back to the single question of repair. Yes the lathe has its limitations. The saying was made many years ago. It is outdated for sure, but is still quoted to this day. This fact will never change. Bottom line, there is no wrong answer for this thread. It all boils down to individual thinking. Keep it in the context , this is your opinion. Do not try to force that opinion onto anyone else, Kapeesh?

"Billy G"

I turned my lathe on, told it to duplicate itself and stood back and waited. I'm beginning to agree with Bill that maybe the phrase is taken too literally. It's been running for 25 hours now and no progress. But, the power company loves me.

Tom

At last, some humor. ROTFLMBO

"Billy G"

My lathe is inept. It cannot make itself. But my copying machine on the other hand, can crank out pictures of itself or of my lathe by the hundreds!

Back