California Fires-here we go again

Very sad, we need to focus on those displaced and affected by the fires.
We need rain, not fake news.
It's running rampant, has to stop. This should not be happening at a time like this.

And in the midst of devastation and loss, this also makes me sad;

Seems we can't even have catastrophic fires without the mis-information kicking in.

And I'm stunned to see that most of these fires in California still have little to no containment. And containment doesn't mean control, just that we've put some sort of firebreak around the fire. Which tells me the fires will continiue until we get some rain. So it may be a while. Far NorCal and maybe Oregon have a chance of rain next week. Let's hope.

We spent 18 days in our RV after being evacuated on Aug. 18. Fortunately our house survived intact, the fire was stopped 600’ from the house. Spent 2 days cleaning the refrigerator, that was the worst damage we suffered. Many others weren’t so lucky, 925 houses were lost.

That news article is not completely correct, but there have been a number of rumors. While affiliation with a particular group, if any, has not been established, there have been a couple of arson arrests.

Here is one:

Another arson arrest occurred in Wa state. https://bellinghammetronews.com/news/puyallup-man-arrested-while-starting-fire-bond-set-at-1000/

And the large fire complex east of Salem was deemed to be ''human caused'' per the authorities. Having said that, ''human caused'' does not necessarily mean arson, could be an out of control campfire.

The ''Riverside and ''Beache Creek'' fires, the two large fires in northern Oregon, are suspect. They both started along Forest Service Road 46, there are no power lines in the area near the ignition points, and no lightning in the area for a couple of weeks around the ignition time.

Here is another example, but it seems that this guy was starting a fire during the larger fire in the area. I'm sure he is being questioned about his whereabouts when the Phoenix fire started.

Very sad, we need to focus on those displaced and affected by the fires.
We need rain, not fake news.
It's running rampant, has to stop. This should not be happening at a time like this.

Last edited:
Any one heard from Derrick?
@dlane you online and okay?

I am wishing safety for everyone!

-brino
Yup I made it everything is intact, I stayed after the evacuation order to put out spot fires with water hoses and shovel. I am on the frontline of my neighborhood where the fire was coming from. Lots of friends lost everything.
Thanks for the concern.

We spent 18 days in our RV after being evacuated on Aug. 18. Fortunately our house survived intact, the fire was stopped 600’ from the house. Spent 2 days cleaning the refrigerator, that was the worst damage we suffered. Many others weren’t so lucky, 925 houses were lost.
So glad to hear your place survived, so many others lost but property can be replaced. I can only imagine how hard it is to leave something you worked your whole life for but it's probably the best move. Not to say anything negative about folks who did stay behind, resources are stretched so thin right now....

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help this weekend, I definitely owe you big-time from the lathe move....

John

And our wonderful governor cut firefighters pay 7.5% and released 8000 prisoners that some used to help with firefighting

That news article is not completely correct, but there have been a number of rumors. While affiliation with a particular group, if any, has not been established, there have been a couple of arson arrests.

I worked one summer years ago on a project for the Forest Service and Cal Fire (called CDF in those days), and worked with a very experienced
guy who was a career Forest Service employee. He told me that a pretty high percentage of fires are arson. An obvious example of that occurred
that summer: a sequence of small fires along the length of a highway in the Sierra foothills, all spaced out 15-20 miles apart. Some fire bug
was driving down the road setting fires. Fortunately they all were put out pretty quickly.

I live about 5 miles north of the red (mandatory evacuation area), center map near the north edge of the map. The main fire front is about 20 air miles south of me.

Is the fire still holding that distance from your place Jim?

Sandy mentioned in a local news clip.
Nice to see the community and people coming together.
Another clip I watched highlighted another town and the group there stated that donations were exceeding demand. That's cool.

Then there was another clip where they said that extra manpower and equipment was being brought in.
Let's hope the weather cooperates and that they can gain a foothold against the fires.

Back