California Fires-here we go again

Other side of the planet so I probably shouldn't comment but what is happening around the world really worries me. Particularity so in America. Another arsonist captured: http://www.protesterprivilege.com/2...-near-tacoma-wa-after-live-streaming-himself/ . My deepest sympathies to anyone affected by these fires.

I'm not even going to look at that link just based on the URL, we really try to keep politics off this site and I think it works well. There are plenty of other places for us to express political views and I can assure you that wildfires are really a natural phenomenon.

You live in a beautiful country and I hope to get back there some day. Maybe we can meet up and discuss these things in person over a cold beverage when I do :beer mugs:

John

Too damn dry out there. Can't believe how fast some of the fires are moving.
Can't believe the 'red' skies being shown. I would be having one hell of time trying to breath.
Very sad to hear of the young boy and his grandmother who lost their lives.

Was watching some of the clips this evening and they showed the humidity ranges for Oregon and Northern Cali. ~20%.
And meanwhile, back east here I'm averaging 60-70% in the shop. And here is where I quit whining about rust on the machines...

Stay safe everyone.

Fire Update, Northern Oregon:

The east wind went calm as expected and the closest fire to me basically stopped moving about 20 miles south, now the fire crews have a chance of getting fire lines established. The mandatory evacuation area stayed about 5 miles south of me, we really lucked out on this one.

There is a slight on-shore air flow, and the humidity is going up. West winds are expected to pick up a bit over the next few days, this should help move the fires into unpopulated areas in the mountains. Hopefully this will move the fires back into the burned out areas. Some rain is forecast starting Monday, that will help a lot.

At the moment, smoke is the biggest problem. We have an inversion layer and the smoke is hugging the ground. Right now I can just make out my property fence line about 500 ft from the house, like very dense fog. This is expected to last until Monday or so.

According to the news, about 500,000 people are under mandatory evacuation statewide. The areas in southern and central Oregon around Medford, and east of Salem got hit very hard. There are a few small towns that are just gone.

I was wondering. I was watching a broadcast in the wee hours and they mentioned Sandy but didn't provide any details.
Moisture desperately needed, hopefully it will arrive soon.
Fire Update, Northern Oregon:

The east wind went calm as expected and the closest fire to me basically stopped moving about 20 miles south, now the fire crews have a chance of getting fire lines established. The mandatory evacuation area stayed about 5 miles south of me, we really lucked out on this one.

There is a slight on-shore air flow, and the humidity is going up. West winds are expected to pick up a bit over the next few days, this should help move the fires into unpopulated areas in the mountains. Hopefully this will move the fires back into the burned out areas. Some rain is forecast starting Monday, that will help a lot.

At the moment, smoke is the biggest problem. We have an inversion layer and the smoke is hugging the ground. Right now I can just make out my property fence line about 500 ft from the house, like very dense fog. This is expected to last until Monday or so.

According to the news, about 500,000 people are under mandatory evacuation statewide. The areas in southern and central Oregon around Medford, and east of Salem got hit very hard. There are a few small towns that are just gone.

Air quality is in the toilet today. with my emphysema breathing is hard labor, the Chiloquin fire
is just north of me and the Medford area fires are north west of me but the Klamath Basin is a smoke collection zone
for Nor Cal and So Or.
My breathing issues are no comparison to the loss of life livelihood and property.
my prayers to to my country men and their families and my curses to those responsible !!

This link is for a map that plots air quality with numerical values. Oregon's air quality is terrible right now.

Thanks for posting the link.
*GADS* I'd have to head East.

This link is for a map that plots air quality with numerical values. Oregon's air quality is terrible right now.

And in the midst of devastation and loss, this also makes me sad;

Seems we can't even have catastrophic fires without the mis-information kicking in.

And I'm stunned to see that most of these fires in California still have little to no containment. And containment doesn't mean control, just that we've put some sort of firebreak around the fire. Which tells me the fires will continiue until we get some rain. So it may be a while. Far NorCal and maybe Oregon have a chance of rain next week. Let's hope.

Back