Caliber and Actual Measurements

As noted, always refer to reloading manuals for proper bullet sizes. The cartridge name is advertising marketing speak. The list Verbotenwhisky put up, reflects this.
Lyman has produced a reloading manual for cast bullets for many decades.
Pierre
Yeah, I have a shelf full of loading manuals, the information came out of the Lee manual, but I have the Lyman manual and I load a lot of cast boolets....

Me too! Old ones and newer ones as some old calibers are dropped in the newer editions.
Pierre

as far as diameter of projectiles the 218 BEE, 22 HORNET, 221 FIREBALL, 22 PPC, 22 BR REMINGTON, 222 REMINGTON, 223 REMINGTON, 222 REMINGTON MAGNUM, 22-250 REMINGTON, 223 WIN SUPER SHORT MAG, 224 WEATHERBY MAGNUM, 225 WINCHESTER, and 220 SWIFT all use a .224 diameter projectile which can be jacketed, this is just rifle rounds.
I have some Hornady .223 diameter bullets and they're marked .22 Hornet from the factory. It is a very old standard and as I wrote previously, modern .22 Hornet barrels are intended to shoot .224" bullets. I load a number of "22 Caliber" rifle rounds and yes, the others all use .224" bullets. Hornady no longer manufactures the .223 diameter bullets. The .224 bullets ARE jacketed. If cast lead, they should be sized to .225" unless for an early .22 Hornet. Those would be sized to .224". Not even all reloading manuals recognize that the .22 Hornet standard has changed over time.

Sorry; I had my numbers mixed up on the .22 rimfire. It's been a very long time since I even gave it any thought. It is the .22 short/long/long rifle that is .223 and the .22 Magnum (WRM) jacketed bullet is .224. The convertible revolvers are bored .001" larger than those manufactured to shoot the short/long/long rifle.

I have some Hornady .223 diameter bullets and they're marked .22 Hornet from the factory. It is a very old standard and as I wrote previously, modern .22 Hornet barrels are intended to shoot .224" bullets. I load a number of "22 Caliber" rifle rounds and yes, the others all use .224" bullets. Hornady no longer manufactures the .223 diameter bullets. The .224 bullets ARE jacketed. If cast lead, they should be sized to .225" unless for an early .22 Hornet. Those would be sized to .224". Not even all reloading manuals recognize that the .22 Hornet standard has changed over time.

Sorry; I had my numbers mixed up on the .22 rimfire. It's been a very long time since I even gave it any thought. It is the .22 short/long/long rifle that is .223 and the .22 Magnum (WRM) jacketed bullet is .224. The convertible revolvers are bored .001" larger than those manufactured to shoot the short/long/long rifle.
If for some reason you need a .223 and cannot find it you can use a lubri-sizer to downsize .224 to correct size.

If for some reason you need a .223 and cannot find it you can use a lubri-sizer to downsize .224 to correct size.
Thanks. The only .22 Hornet I have is a Thompson Center 10” barrel so it uses the modern .224” bullets. I only mentioned the .223 diameter bullets for historical reference.

I have several makes of lubri-sizers and an RCBS RCII so sizing or swaging isn’t out of the question.

Thanks. The only .22 Hornet I have is a Thompson Center 10” barrel so it uses the modern .224” bullets. I only mentioned the .223 diameter bullets for historical reference.

I have several makes of lubri-sizers and an RCBS RCII so sizing or swaging isn’t out of the question.
Understood, didn't intend to insinuate anything, just not everyone knows these things and I never know who I am talking to.

No worries. I understand; it’s hard to know what the audience knows. I made my first reloads in 1977-78. There’s not much that I can’t do in my reloading room now. I’ve had 4 Dillons; just a 550 and a 650 now; 3 single stage RCBS presses, 3 lubri-sizers, a Ponsness-Warren 12/20 gauge press and lots of casting gear. Just wish I could shoot as much as I did when I lived in more rural areas.

No worries. I understand; it’s hard to know what the audience knows. I made my first reloads in 1977-78. There’s not much that I can’t do in my reloading room now. I’ve had 4 Dillons; just a 550 and a 650 now; 3 single stage RCBS presses, 3 lubri-sizers, a Ponsness-Warren 12/20 gauge press and lots of casting gear. Just wish I could shoot as much as I did when I lived in more rural areas.
I have been reloading for 30+ years and also have a good loading room. I started with a Lee Breach press (I refer to it as a nut cracker) and have an RCBS rock chucker which I bought used, a small Lee single press, a Lee turret press and a Lyman Lubri-sizer. not into the casting as much as I intend to be in the future though; but I will get there. I have never loaded shotgun shells though, I do not shoot them enough to break even on it.

I have been reloading for 30+ years and also have a good loading room. I started with a Lee Breach press (I refer to it as a nut cracker) and have an RCBS rock chucker which I bought used, a small Lee single press, a Lee turret press and a Lyman Lubri-sizer. not into the casting as much as I intend to be in the future though; but I will get there. I have never loaded shotgun shells though, I do not shoot them enough to break even on it.
What one owns is irrelevant. My loading area would put many to shame, but I've learned a lot from a guy with just a Rockchucker tucked in the corner of his garage, and I've seen lots of decent loading done by a few with only a Lee loader.

GsT

The only reason I have a shotgun press is because when I lived in SE New Mexico a fellow Hunter Ed instructor shot Cowboy Action. I shot one match with the cheap ($22/100 at the time) Winchester Game and Target shells. I had gotten to the point of not even feeling the shot with my trap gun so I thought they would be fine in a side by side 12 ga 20" coach gun. I was mistaken. Those "mild loads" beat the snot out of me in that short barreled lightweight shotgun. After that I scrounged up some used shot and loaded more appropriate loads for the coach gun. Shot has gotten so expensive that you have to be reloading really high end equivalent ammunition to match the cost of factory loads. In New Mexico the gun range and RC fields were both less than 10 minutes from the house so access to both was easy. I shot at least twice a week. You know what it's like in the Metro Houston area. Ranges are few and far between and most are not very good. If I start shooting USPSA again I'm looking at about an hour and 15 minutes to the range. Maybe it's getting time to sell my fun guns and just keep the serious ones.

Back