Calculating shear strength of bolts on corrugated roads

A question re the filler pipe for the new diesel tank.

I don't have much room between the front of the tray and the cabin of the vehicle.
I did consider running a rectangular RHS filler that was say 60mm x 40mm - so I had more clearence.
But it all got messy with the transitions from round to rectangular and back again.

So I have come up with a precision fitting (as illustrated).

What problems do you see in adopting this approach as opposed to the big chunk of rubber with two hose clamps.
The hose clamps are the real problem. Because to tighten them they need to be positioned at the worst possible orientation.
Right where they rub on the cabin of the vehicle.

Suggestions welcome.

Mal288390

A question re the filler pipe for the new diesel tank.

I don't have much room between the front of the tray and the cabin of the vehicle.
I did consider running a rectangular RHS filler that was say 60mm x 40mm - so I had more clearence.
But it all got messy with the transitions from round to rectangular and back again.

So I have come up with a precision fitting (as illustrated).

What problems do you see in adopting this approach as opposed to the big chunk of rubber with two hose clamps.
The hose clamps are the real problem. Because to tighten them they need to be positioned at the worst possible orientation.
Right where they rub on the cabin of the vehicle.

Suggestions welcome.

MalView attachment 288390

Could you install the lines using some sort of flare nuts instead of hose clamps ? They could be attached to the tank before install and have a joint some ware convenient.

Stu

Could you install the lines using some sort of flare nuts instead of hose clamps ? They could be attached to the tank before install and have a joint some ware convenient.

Stu
Stu

I have thought of flare nuts or the pipe joints that have a left / right thread - but to fit the filler pipe at the front I need it to be conscise size wise.
Yes I could down size to a 40mm pipe but then I severely reduce flow - so to fill the tank which I estimate will hold 135 litres - maybe it would be an impediment.

Mal288413

Yes I could down size to a 40mm pipe but then I severely reduce flow - so to fill the tank which I estimate will hold 135 litres - maybe it would be an impediment.

Whoops sorry I totaly missed the word filler pipe, Yeah I can see how that size nut might be a bit difficult..

You could have a few coffees while you filled up though ? :)

Things are starting to go back together. Today we secured the tank into the tray along with the water tank and a rear opening storage box.

Also shown are the straps that hold up the diesel tank.

Mal288749288750

Back