BXA tool post on PM1228?

Copy. So I'd need to mfg a new mounting stud. That might be my first project on the lathe. Thanks.

I recently ordered a PM833TV mill (in stock) and PM 1340GT (ETA Dec). The mill will be ready to ship early next week and I decided I need a lathe sooner than the 1340GT will be available. PM has 1228s w DRO in stock and ready to ship so I changed my order with the intent to upgrade to a 1340TG in the near future. Evidently AXA tool posts and holders are most appropriate for a 1228 sized machine while BXA tool posts and tool holders are right for 1340s......and I'd rather not replace them all when I upgrade. My hope is to sell the 1228 when the 1340 arrives and migrate the tool post and collection of tools over to the new machine at that time.

My questions...is it reasonable to adapt a BXA QC tool post to the smaller lathe? Has anyone here used BXA on a 1228? If so, what was required? Will 1/2" (or 3/8") tools keep me at or below center? Is this the dumbest idea you've ever heard? Any constructive thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.
My PM1236 has a BXA, 1/2" tools yet I have a couple holders which allow me to use a 1" tool. I suspect the BXA base of the tool post is a bit larger than the compound will accept, just a guess.

Back