BXA tool holders

... My only issue with them is the grub screws. Not only are some of them not very good, but with mine, some are metric and some are imperial.

That's ok. The Phase II tool holders split the difference: set screws have an inch hex socket but metric threads.

I stocked up on set screws and now just replace them on arrival.

Someplace around here I measured a bunch of toolholders and gave comparisons. The block itself varies in size a good bit, and there's oddities all over: Dorian sizes theirs for tools one size bigger than Aloris et al, PM's knurling holder has shoulder screws exactly 6.4mm in diameter—good luck finding replacement knurls!, height adjustments sometimes use wave washers and sometimes toothed washers, etc etc etc.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well that's why you buy multiple holders, then it's quick. No change of tool in the holder.
I have a LOT of HSS bits, most bought used and already ground for next to nothing, segregated by size and roughly by type. I change bits when I think it is useful and when I think I can learn something. So, it happens all the time. Sure, you can buy a set of 5 holders and inserts to fit them and then try to make them work for everything you are doing. I have those tools and I do use them, but I find that approach quite limiting, and digging in the HSS for a couple minutes I can find a tool ground decades ago by some unknown machinist that looks like it might be a great choice, perhaps with it bit of grinding to better make it fit the "cut du jour." Then I find out if I am correct, or get another chance to learn some more. And in that way I slowly make them into MY tool bits...

That's ok. The Phase II tool holders split the difference: set screws have an inch hex socket but metric threads.
I have some of those Phase II holders in my mix. Too cheap and lazy to replace the screws... Yes, the size of the blocks also varies, but when they are set to height, it matters little.
The best type of height adjustment is the Aloris one with the keyway in the screw and the tab on the washer to engage the keyway. Quick to change, hold the setting reliably, and cost an arm and a leg. I don't have any, but I would love to make some. Amazingly, the biggest holdup is in making the keyed washers.

I have some of those Phase II holders in my mix. Too cheap and lazy to replace the screws... Yes, the size of the blocks also varies, but when they are set to height, it matters little.
The best type of height adjustment is the Aloris one with the keyway in the screw and the tab on the washer to engage the keyway. Quick to change, hold the setting reliably, and cost an arm and a leg. I don't have any, but I would love to make some. Amazingly, the biggest holdup is in making the keyed washers.
/me dashes into shop to look at my only Aloris holder, a BXA16, to see this 'keyed' washer you speak of...
OH, that's cool. It's little touches like that, that make up quality. When my ship comes in I'll have to get me some of dem... :grin:
Meanwhile with the imports, I ordered some different styles of wave & bellville washers from Mc-C. I've an idea stirring and if it works I'll post it, if it doesn't - well this conversation never took place.

For grub screws, Jack had just sent me some for the AXA's before I scored the Aloris BXA post, and they are sweet.
Square head type m8's. I actually found an 8-point 1/4" drive socket in my catch-all bin so those will work out very well.
I want to find a 5/16" square opening old-timey wrench.
For the BXA's that are soon to arrive, I bought 50 from Mc-C, and they're the standard hex socket dog points, Smooth tip though.
(as the budget slowly fades away this month...)

<off-topic a bit>
JTS is way over the top with shipping charges.
I'm looking for an insert shim SM41, it's only a 3 bucks, shipping is $10.42!
Sent them a msg asking what gives. They replied this morning:
Code:
The items that have DS in the title, only ship UPS ground.
They actually ship directly to the buyer from our supplier.
We do combine shipping charges. USPS has just had a rate increase.
Thank you
er, OK, so USPS had a rate increase, got that, however $10 to ship an insert shim?

<off-topic a bit>
JTS is way over the top with shipping charges.
I'm looking for an insert shim SM41, it's only a 3 bucks, shipping is $10.42!
Sent them a msg asking what gives. They replied this morning:
Code:
The items that have DS in the title, only ship UPS ground.
They actually ship directly to the buyer from our supplier.
We do combine shipping charges. USPS has just had a rate increase.
Thank you
er, OK, so USPS had a rate increase, got that, however $10 to ship an insert shim?

he has to pay for the new Mercedes somehow.................

In all the different brands of BXA holders I tested the Phase II had by far the worst set screws. All the others were acceptable. The first QCTP I bought in 2000, the holder set screws were awful and I did replace those. The current generation are much better.

On the height adjustment the major difference between the Aloris/Dorian and the imports is the overall quality and fit of the threads. The loose fitting threads of the imports leads to the tool holder lifting when tightening the lock screw. I didn't care for the keyed stud washer on the Aloris. I find adjusting the import holders easy enough when using a height setting gauge.

The last batch of AXA's that i bought from Shars, all I had to do was take a wire wheel to the adjusting screw, know of the oxide(?), dab some oil on 'em, and all four were smooth. I really was surprised compared to the others I already had...

In all the different brands of BXA holders I tested the Phase II had by far the worst set screws. All the others were acceptable. The first QCTP I bought in 2000, the holder set screws were awful and I did replace those. The current generation are much better.

On the height adjustment the major difference between the Aloris/Dorian and the imports is the overall quality and fit of the threads. The loose fitting threads of the imports leads to the tool holder lifting when tightening the lock screw. I didn't care for the keyed stud washer on the Aloris. I find adjusting the import holders easy enough when using a height setting gauge.
The Aloris tool holder has a non rotating washer in between the two nuts (toothed washer engaging keyway in stud, just like an old bicycle wheel hub.} That makes the two nuts independent. One adjusts, the other locks, simple and accurate to do one handed. Snug them as loose or as tight as you want, and they will stay where the adjusting nut was left. I don't have any because I am cheap, but I have used them and they are the best for height adjustment, by far.
http://shop.aloris.com/aloris-produ...nt-assembly/height-adjustment-assembly-BXA-HA
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09061664

How's this for shipping time?
Ordered on the 8th, shipped on the 8th, out for delivery today. Three days from SoCal to EastTN.
I know that the USPS sometimes messes up but dang these are some fine transit times IMO...
It took 7 or 8 days for the Shars order via FedEX to get here from Chicago.

Now I need to get busy and clean up the Tool Post...

Back